Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Legacy

 I didn't stay up to listen to the State of the Union address. Not being a big fan of this president I didn't feel like I could stomach much more of his rhetoric. This being his last address it was more concerned with his " legacy " than any thing else. In all fairness it is that way with all presidents giving their final address. I did listen to the news this morning and that was their message, it was about his legacy. So the news just confirmed what I already knew. There was mention of who was invited and who was not. All just political posturing.
 Legacy, that which we leave behind is a prime concern of many people I think. I wouldn't say it was a primary concern of mine, although I will admit to wanting to be remembered, in a good way. If you are the President you will build a library to preserve your every action and word. That certainly would make me nervous ! This president will have an eight year period to cover. He is the first black president. That is a responsibility. The fact of the matter is, legacy is not established until years after the actual events. At least the legacy of a president isn't. When you are guiding a country changes happen slowly and results are not immediate. Those that held that office in the beginning are mostly revered today. Names like Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, and more recently Kennedy are spoken with almost a reverence. That wasn't universally so during their lifetimes. Yes, even Abraham Lincoln had his detractors and they weren't all confederate sympathizers. What will be the legacy of Barrack Obama ? My best guess is he will be remembered for being the first black president. In my opinion he as done nothing to cement a place in history. By his own admission the rival political parties became more divided under his leadership. His is an administration of decisiveness. But that is a personal opinion and subject to debate. It will be tested and proven only through time. Future events will shape the legacy of Barrack Obama as it has done with every other president.
 I don't want this blog to be a political condemnation of President Obama. I will attempt to refrain from that. What I am thinking about is this idea of " legacy. " Is legacy something that we should concern ourselves with, or should we rather let the chips fall where they may. That we should consider the consequences of our actions goes without question. The thing is, should we allow that to influence our choices ? Would you make a decision contrary to your personal beliefs to strengthen your legacy ? That is where perception plays a role. What will others think ? We can certainly do things that people will remember. The question is, are they of long term benefit to everyone, or just a pandering to the current attitude of your constituents ? It takes a great deal of confidence or ignorance to create a legacy. Keep in mind when we say legacy, positive actions are implied. It isn't always the case however and that is why it takes confidence or ignorance. In the case of a President their legacy concerns major changes or accomplishment. We remember Lincoln for what ? Kennedy did what ? And we remember Nixon in what way ? That is legacy. This year will be his last chance to influence the perception of his legacy. I make no comment regarding that.
 What about your personal legacy ? Is that something you think about ? I don't think many of us do when we are younger. It is something that becomes of more concern as we age. Just like a president, when we can see the end in sight, we begin to be concerned ! In my case, you could say I have begun to write my library. Will that be my legacy ? I don't know and can not say as I do not get to determine that. Only time will tell and I'll be long gone by then. Unless you have achieved great popularity in your lifetime I don't see how you could be certain. That being said, there are many " stars " of the past that have been forgotten as well. Transcending time isn't an easy proposition. That is what " legacy " is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment