Tuesday, June 9, 2015

reshuffling the deck

 I've heard it said that a cluttered desk is the sign of a busy mind. Looking at my own desk I would have to agree, it is pretty cluttered. The desk that is. Mostly it is cluttered with things I am not finished with yet. Old cards, books, scraps of paper with notes written on them, all kinds of stuff. But that is the problem, finishing up a project. Almost everything I do is a work in process and rarely do I feel as though it is completed. I do reach the point of " good enough ". That is when I set it aside and plan to do more at a later date. Sometimes I am finished with a particular thing, but plan to use it in a larger project, so it remains out and available. There is stuff on my desk that has been waiting for a very long time.
 There is another old saying, out of sight out of mind. That one isn't always correct because most of this stuff on my desk is in plain sight and it is still out of my mind, or I am. That is another topic altogether. It may appear messy to some, especially the wife, but I have a method. I put it where it is most convenient for retrieval when inspiration strikes. You know, when you get in the zone. Although I will admit that at times that same system can get me sidetracked. I sometimes see a different road sign while retrieving what I want. That sends me off in another direction entirely. Well no system is perfect.
 As I sat down this morning to compose this blog I found my mind a little empty. That happens every now and again. I looked around my desk for a minute but nothing. I began thinking about the news, not much to write about there. The news can be depressing. The kids get out of school next Tuesday, where did this school year go ? Mark, my grandson, will go to high school in the fall, that is a little depressing only because of what it indicates. I don't want to think about that this morning. We are almost half way through June ! Next month I'll be 62 ! I had best start finishing up some of these projects. That is what came to mind as I looked at my desk. I do have a busy mind and I believe that is a good thing. Grandma always said, it's' best to stay busy. The old folks sure have some good wisdom. Keep yourself occupied and you won't get bored with life. So judging by the looks of my desk, and that old saying, I'm good to go. This desk may look cluttered but do not be deceived, it is actually a lifeline ! It is a symbol of a vibrant mind, one capable of just about anything. That's a good thing , right ? There are just things I am not done with yet, that's all. Hey, this desk is organized, you should see my workbench. I like to keep my tools close at hand there too.
 I am considering a reorganization however. It may be time for a bit of a clean up. Sometimes that is what is needed as well. Kinda reshuffle the deck as it where. There just may be things here that I am done with. That doesn't mean I should discard them though. We wouldn't have any artifacts at all if we did that. Even hoarders serve a purpose. Well for all the talk of it the truth is, it's a mess. Again. I really should do something with it. And now you have spent your valuable time reading about my messy desk. It's a diversion I suppose. I could have cleaned my desk but I've got such a busy mind I just don't have the time ! Wife's not buying it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment