Friday, June 5, 2015

Plan for the future

 The nature of man is that we spend more time dreaming of the place we used to be, than planning for where we are going. I suppose that is only true of those that believe we are going elsewhere. I fall into that category. I have been told and believe that heaven is a wonderful place free of pain and worry. A place where you are with your ancestors and you have all knowledge. Seems like a place you should be in a hurry to get too, but it is not. Isn't that a curious thing ? How do we justify that logic ? I believe it is because there is indeed a plan and I don't know it. I only need to execute the plan and that requires my presence here on earth, at this time. When the time comes, I'm gone. Until then I continue to remember the past. That is because it is the only thing I know for sure. The future depends upon faith.
 Of course there is always the " bird in the hand " philosophy. I do think that is for lazy people though. Yes, I have whatever it is and it is sufficient but shouldn't I desire more ? Is that greed ? Perhaps it is only desire. What is the difference between greed and desire ? Greed is wanting something that you are unwilling to work for and desire is just wanting something. Desire may be hunger and I eat an apple, greed is taking the remaining apples without the need for them. So I would have to say I am desirous of going to heaven but am not greedy about it. But why should I desire heaven ? It is the freedom from pain,worry and all the other human frailties, combined with the enjoyment of the past, that makes heaven so desirous. I have the bird in the hand and the bird in the bush ! I've got it all. Isn't that the promise ? So why don't we spend more time dreaming about that ? That is the weakness of the flesh. Now doesn't that sound Biblical ? I can't think of another way of putting it though. Most people like the sure thing. I'm sure of yesterday and fairly certain about today. Tomorrow causes little worry for me, except when I am seriously ill or in a life endangering situation. But, what about death ? That is where I have to go, on faith alone. No one has ever returned to give a first person account. It is easier to not think about that. It is easy to remember the past. Most of us just block out the " bad " parts when we can. That is the good old days that are so popular. It is what we choose to recall. 
 The question here is, how do we plan for the future ? How do we plan to go to heaven. Virtue is the path that we must follow. I like to believe that regardless of what other paths I may have taken over the years there is still the opportunity to get on that right path, the virtuous path. I do not know when my journey will end, but I know that it will. It is my desire to be on the right path when that happens. I do not believe I can just jump on that path at the last second. Surely there must be a minimum amount of travel required. I saw a quote by Helen Keller that said, " a bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn. " I would agree with that, but point out that the road does end eventually. Every day is a chance to take that bend in the road and every day is a chance for the road to end. The only trick is, be on the right road ! Virtue is its' own reward. That quote is credited to the ancient Chinese. Aristotle said, " tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. " Why is that so ? It is because if we allow (tolerate ) less than virtuous behaviors we will not receive the reward. The reward being a virtuous life. The virtuous life is the only path to heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment