Saturday, June 27, 2015

Holding onto hope

 I was reading an article the other day about depression. It was a description of what depression is compared to just being sad. Depression is a difficult thing to understand I think, even if you may suffer from it. That " down " feeling all the time. Isn't that where the saying " pull yourself up by your own bootstraps " originated ? Just quit feeling that way and move on. That depression is a diagnosable mental illness is beyond question. As to the reasons for depression one trait was pointed out, people with depression are looking for a sense of purpose. They often spend their time searching for the meaning of life and what their purpose is. I can relate to that. I often think about those things, although  I am not clinically depressed. I guess the difference is I do not dwell upon it for very long at any one time. I have found that in some things it is best to adopt the " Que Sera, sera " attitude. You have to learn to let it go.
 I do think there is a difference between accepting what is, and just giving up. There are many things I accept but will not give up trying to change. If you just give up, resign, that means you have lost. Losing is depressing ! I may not be happy all the time, but I am not depressed. Well, okay I'm depressed, but not to a clinical state. I don't require therapy or medications to alter my thinking or feelings. That would be surrendering and I refuse to surrender. There are times to just accept the facts as presented. That doesn't mean you can't change the questions.
 When it comes to the question of purpose I do not know what my purpose is. The thing is, I don't need to know, only to do. Could I fulfill my purpose any better if I were aware of the goal ? That is the question to be answered. No, I don't believe I could or would and neither would you. The results would be tainted by the knowledge of the goal. It would be like cheating ! Our lives must be lived honestly and fairly. We are in charge of our own honesty. Fairness is a subjective state and we can not control that. Outside influences dictate fairness, but should not be allowed to affect our honesty.
 Sadness should not be met anger. Anger will not lead to a resolution, only further conflict. Unresolved conflict can lead to depression. Sadness needs to be confronted with hope. Hope is the weapon that will ultimately defeat anger and resentment. " Hope springs eternal in the human breast " (Alexander Pope) What that is saying is that hope " springs " from nowhere and is forever (eternal ). As long as we have hope that is. I must accept the current situation but can always hope for change. I may even work toward that change ! Anger is the response of the desperate.
 We live in a time of much change. Changes of a fundamental nature. That is true now and was just as true for the generations preceding our own. These changes have come about as the result of hope, not anger. It is my hope that America will one day be restored. Sadly I see her in decline. The celebrations of today may prove to be the dirge of tomorrow. I can do little but hold onto hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment