Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Fluidity

 The actress Susan Sarandon speaking on the Oprah Winfrey show said she is excited about the " fluidity of gender " taking place in America. I saw that reported and it struck a note with me. Fluidity of Gender ? Just what does that mean ? I had to ask myself a question, are we born a certain way, or are we what we choose to become ? Life is certainly a fluid state, that can't be denied, but what of gender ? Do we get to choose our gender ? I don't think so, I believe that is a product of birth. That then leaves only the question of our soul. It is our soul that makes us human after all. But just what is the soul ? That is a question that has been pondered over since man started pondering. The first question to be answered there is, where does that soul come from ? Is it merely a product of our environment, or is it an integral part of us when born ? In answering that, faith becomes the topic.
 Setting aside the religious aspects we have to ask ourselves this question. Should I act upon every impulse I have ? That is to say, are all my impulses correct ? You would have to say no. There are many behaviors that may be detrimental to your well being that you should ignore. Most of these types of behaviors cause us physical pain and so we learn the lesson quickly. What of other behaviors ? We often try to justify those behaviors with irrational logic. If it isn't hurting anyone else, it is alright. Sounds good doesn't it ? The logic is flawed in that wrong actions do not become right actions simply because they do not hurt anyone else. They are still harmful to you ! Wrong is wrong. 
 Now suppose we do adopt this philosophy of " fluidity of gender. " Would that not then change the substance of our soul ? The soul as a fluid object ? The soul is the keeper of our morals and ethics is it not ? Are they too to become fluid ? An ever changing, ever evolving set of ethical standards ? Will not society become destabilized ? It certainly seems so to me. It we place the order of things in a fluid state where will stability come from ? Certainly we will not be able to turn to our traditional ideas of God. The Bible becomes nothing more than a interesting novel. Now our religious values are also placed in a fluid state. What to embrace ? What is the constant ? 
 Now being a man of faith I believe in God. I believe there is a plan and that I will fulfill that plan. Whether I realize it or not, that will happen. The issue is often one of reconciling that belief ( fulfilling the plan ) with the concept of free will. I can choose which direction to go. On the surface of that one would think that no matter what you choose  the plan is fulfilled because God makes the plans. I have heard this argument before and it is a difficult one to refute. The logic seems sound enough. The answer is simple, the plan will be fulfilled no matter what I do. Then the question is, why should I do right ? What is right ? Is there right and wrong ? How to decide what is right and wrong ? So many questions. We are back to a fluid state. A new beginning ? A " fluidity " of gender or is it a " fluidity " of the soul ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment