Monday, June 15, 2015

Passionate

 I began to think about enthusiasm. I mean just how enthusiastic some people are about whatever. Further though I mean the ones that appear as being over the top. You know the type, just a little too much. Well some would call that being passionate. That is a term we hear often enough, passion. Interestingly enough the word passion comes from the Greek word meaning " to suffer. " The online dictionary I used for reference didn't say who was suffering though. Ha, a little humor there. But I did find it interesting that definition. Passion , the word and it's meaning has certainly changed over the years or centuries. Now it is more a feeling of intense emotions not necessarily related to suffering.
 In many cases we are told to be passionate about our likes and desires. We describe the commitment one makes to their art or occupation as being passionate. We are led to believe that we must be passionate in order to succeed. But, at what point is passion exceeded ? Can it be exceeded, an excessive amount of passion ?  Not to the one being passionate I suppose but certainly to others. Passion only flourishes when it is attractive to others. That is true in all cases of passion. Excessive passion takes on a different name, many names in fact. Obsession leads the pack followed closely by overbearing, insufferable and just plain annoying. So how do we guard against this ? How do we find that balance between passion and excess ?
 This is a balance I have often wondered about. Just at what point does passion become obsession ? I'm thinking when that passion becomes a hindrance to others that is an obssession. We could use the old argument that as long it is not hurting anyone else it is okay. That logic is flawed however, just because something causes no harm to others, that doesn't make it right. Even " rights " can be abused. Free speech is abused in this country everyday, doesn't make it right. So how am I to know when my passion is getting out of control ? I will go back to my original thought on this, Passion only flourishes when it is attractive to others. So, just what is that saying ? Your passion for a subject will be accepted only as long as others remain interested. That, I think, is the key here, others remaining interested. When you start to feel the attitude, I really don't care, that is when you begin to cross the line between passion and obsession. Passion is for others and obsession is for yourself. Going back to the Greek meaning " to suffer " passion could then mean to just keep it to yourself, to suffer in silence. In other words don't become obsessed with any one thing. Not even a good thing ! To those that are not interested, not receptive to your passion, it is just annoying.
 That leads me to a final question. What of those that just don't see that line ? I mean the ones that are genuine in their passion but are just annoying ? Whether they are a car salesman or a missionary if the person they are addressing isn't interested, it is annoying ! How do I know if I am one of them ? Would anyone tell me ? I expect the people that love and care for me would not, I certainly wouldn't say anything to curb their enthusiasm about their genuine passions. Maybe the Greeks were onto something there with their meaning of passion, " to suffer. " Maybe they did mean I should suffer, not for my own passions, but for yours. That would change the whole discussion now wouldn't it ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment