Monday, June 22, 2015

moments shared

 Yesterday morning after posting a short video to Facebook this thought came to me, " freedom comes in moments. " I quickly wrote a short " quote " containing that thought as I felt it relevant to the video. I continued to think about just what meaning I was trying to convey. I was talking about " freedom " but just what is freedom ? The  freedom I was thinking about is to be free of worry,doubt,sickness and all the other things that make up our lives. That is why I say, freedom comes in moments. That is to say, brief moments in time when we experience that true freedom that our God intended for us. It is only sustainable on this mortal plane for brief moments in time. Then the real world intrudes upon that freedom. Responsibility and duty interfere. Others disturb our " freedom. " True freedom is enjoyed only when unencumbered by outside influences. They are the moments we share with the angels. It is those moments that give us a glimpse of heaven. All our friends and relatives are there, we enjoy them in memory. They are well and happy and speak to us. Treasure those moments. Carry those moments in your heart and mind.
 I wrote a " quote " saying that happiness comes with freedom and freedom comes in moments. Happiness too, only comes in moments. We can not expect to be happy all the time. We must learn to live outside the happiness, outside true freedom. Those glimpses into heaven are our inspiration and should be embraced. Carrying those memories with you to use as armor against sadness will make the journey easier. Seeing the final destination is a comfort. We must learn patience.
 I began yesterday morning by sitting on the porch. I was just sipping my coffee and listening to the sounds of the early morning. It had rained in the pre-dawn hours and I could hear the drops of rain running off the roof. The birds were chirping their early morning songs and even an owl was heard to hoot. My wife wished me a happy fathers day and I thought of my own Dad in heaven. No cars came down the road, nothing to disturb nature. It was then I felt freedom, true freedom and it only lasted a moment. Then life on earth returned, not as a crashing realization but rather as a subtle reminder. It was then I believe the thought was formed, "freedom comes in moments." That was one of those moments.
 I believe it takes age and wisdom to understand those moments. They are a gift. As we age we should collect those moments, those moments that inform. There is much to be learned from them, the least being life doesn't end with this world. We will continue the journey. That knowledge is the hope of the future and we should be encouraged. We enter this world in a moment and leave it just as quickly, our lives but a brief moment in time. But freedom, true freedom is obtainable through faith. Faith and a visit from the angels. Freedom isn't earned, it is a gift. Learn to accept that gift with grace and dignity, without making demands. Those moments of pure freedom are just incentives along the highway, refreshment for the travel weary. Savor them.


No comments:

Post a Comment