Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tilting at Windmills

There are days when I feel like the proverbial voice in the wilderness,crying out for justice. I'm sure you feel the same way. The actions of others often puzzle me. Why they act or react the way they do. I find it difficult to understand. What could have happened in their lives to cause these reactions ? Each of us respond according to the conditions. The conditions of our raising and the conditions of our lives. Negative actions lead me to believe that must be their experience. That is a sad thing. Surely their entire life could not have been so. Is it that they have forgotten ? Or is it the desire to just impose their will upon others ? It does seem to me that society today does tend to operate more in a confrontational mode, than one of cooperation. The number of lawsuits is testimony to that. A lot of the music I hear today,from all genres, is rather confrontational.
I wonder how this came to be. It isn't the way I remember it being. Of course I am from the old days. All the way back into the sixties ! Back in the day when manners were taught. Back when we watched our P's and Q's, even when we didn't know what they were ! A time when we didn't feel entitled to anything but the air we breathed. A time when we used words like please and thank you. We were taught to be polite to others even when we weren't feeling so great ourselves. Or was it just that we learned to deal with disappointments. We didn't always get our way. We accepted the authority of others without feeling threatened by it. 
It is my thinking that society today is undergoing a major shift. That shift is a lack of commitment. We do not want to commit to anything anymore. All things have become transient. Promises made no longer valid. Our word is not our bond, the only thing binding is a well written contract and even those are subject to arbitration. The foundation of our society is shifting and becoming unstable. Without belief,without faith in our decisions how can it be otherwise ?  I would much rather be remembered as a man of convictions than one who is unsure. There are days when I feel like Don Quixote trying to retain the old morality. Only Sancho understood and I have yet to meet him. Perhaps it will be today.


No comments:

Post a Comment