Friday, August 16, 2013

A Gift

For my last birthday my Grandson Mark gave me a tool bag, It is embroidered with the word, Essentials, in bright bold white letters. Inside where basic hand tools. There are pouches on the outside that he filled with nails and screws. It is a handy little thing. Oh, it has a shoulder strap for carrying.
He was quite pleased with his selection of a gift and I must say I am too. Very thoughtful and practical of him. I have had many tool boxes over the years but this is the first cloth one.
I have had it sitting next to me ,by my computer. Yesterday I had occasion to take it to work with me. My son,who manages the Save-A-Lot asked me to take a look at a mechanical issue. I normally walk to work, as it is only a short distance. I put that bag on my shoulder and off I went. As I was walking up the sidewalk the thought came to me, I'm carrying a man-purse !  That's right, a bag filled with man stuff, Screwdrivers, wrenches, a hammer and of course a tape measure. Yeah, we men are big on measuring things. I felt like one of those servicemen you see in the television commercials. Nice, neat clean clothing, carrying a man-purse that is just as clean as the clothing. I'm coming to fix everything and anything and all I need is this bag. Progress indeed from the old days of lugging a metal box,rusty and dirty and wearing filthy coveralls. Why I must be a technician !
When I arrived at the store the girls noticed my bag. I quickly explained to them about it being a man-purse and I had a job to do. I even threw a few technical terms in there to impress them. I assured them this was no Thirty One bag ! I did feel somewhat like a technician or perhaps an old time doctor as I unzipped that bag and reached inside. I pulled out the screwdriver, er, the multi- function tool with removable drivers I mean, and removed the access cover. I'll have this fixed up in no time. As I worked I thought of Mark and how pleased he would be to know I was using his gift. It pleased me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment