Saturday, August 17, 2013

By the Moment

I got some terrible news last evening. News that made me realize one stark reality of life, life is lived not by days,weeks or years, but by the moment. Life is lived in moments. We travel along this plain forever moving forward. We can look behind and remember, but never turn around. The choices we make are permanent. There is no eraser for our regrets or mistakes, only sorrow is left. In that moment , my life changed. The change is not a visible thing, the change is both ephemeral and lasting. Another of life's paradoxes. Consumed by emotions and helpless against them I weep and try to reason. One can not reason the past however, one can only review.
With all tragedy there is a lesson, and I should heed the lesson. All too often we are so busy with our lives that we miss these signposts. We continue along having read the sign, but ignoring the direction. We are living," in the moment," but unaware of it. We should be aware at all times of the transient nature of this existence. Time lasts forever,we do not. We are as a speck of sand against the tide of time. It is that way for us all.
This new enlightenment on my part will take time to digest. Change happens quickly, but acceptance takes thought and contemplation. Time can be used to our advantage in this situation. Still, do not squander the resource of time, for it is limited, and you have no method of measurement. I must learn to apply this new knowledge, this new understanding, in a constructive way. I must use this as a positive force.
My heart is heavy and my mind occupied with thought. I will continue along however and another moment will present itself. I can only hope I am prepared for that moment in time. Life truly is ;  lived by the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment