Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bonds

As I was writing about my high school days and reminiscing a bit, the thought came to me about bonds. We hear a lot about bonding these days. We talk about creating a bond, maintaining a bond and developing those bonds that tie us. But just what is a bond ? One online dictionary says this; something that binds,fastens,confines or holds together. A cord,rope or ligament. Something that binds a person or persons to a certain circumstance or line of behavior. Reading that last definition made me realize just how binding attending school joins us together. We forever share a certain circumstance. The bond grows stronger with time. Like the curing of an adhesive, it just grows stronger.
This is evident when we connect on social media, Those friends we had in school have remained as friends. What is more interesting are those that we may not have had as much contact with then, we speak with now. We all travel within our own little circles or cliques, if you will. We were separated by social and economic classes. It is true we were all a part of the larger group, classmates, but that wasn't fully recognized. It was the " I can't see the forest for the trees syndrome. " As we age the bond becomes more evident. We have began to lose some of the " trees. " Our forest is thinning out.
The bond that was formed not only grows stronger it grows wider. This bond begins to stretch to include upper and lower classmates. When we are in school two or three years makes a big difference. There were many upper and lower classmates that I was unaware of. Nameless faces in the hallways. Only when they did something to draw attention to themselves, usually in a negative fashion, did they become known to me. I'm quite sure the same could be said for me. I too, was a nameless face in the crowd.
I consider myself very lucky to have attended school were and when I did. It was a great education and shared with great people. Our school had a great atmosphere and for the most part very accepting and non judgmental. It was a diverse group both in economic standing and color. We had our share of disagreements and spats. The thing is the bond was formed, and will remain with us forever. Remarkable that, that bond has lasted longer than some marriages ! LOL That bond identifies us and gives us placement in the world. Strange too is the fact that the bond is stronger since we separated. A sociologist could write an entire paper on the whys of that, and probably has. Me, I'm not going to question it. I'll just say hello and welcome home. I'll hold high the colors of East Hampton High !

No comments:

Post a Comment