Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Parsons Electric

My thoughts often wander to the old hometown. I think about the good times and people there. I have been known to wax poetic about it, and once I got something in my eye and it began to water, while I was thinking about it. I take a mental walk down the sidewalks every now and again. I like to stop in the 5 and 10 ten cent store where I bought those little colored chicks at Easter, Sometimes I got a turtle. Marley's stationary store was always a fun place to shop. Down the street a little from there was the Newspaper company. Could stop in and say hello to Mr. Barnes. I can turn the corner and head up Newtown lane. The sporting goods store was on the left hand side, just past the old firehouse. Tony, the owner didn't mind me hanging out in there and checking the stuff out. I might even stop into Speeds restaurant for french fries and a coke. A coke in a real coca cola glass and filled from the fountain.
I was taking one of these memory walks when I paused in front of a store. The sign says, Parsons Electric. There are two front windows displaying some wares and the door is up some steps. This store looks a little dark and somewhat frightening. I can't explain why that is, but it is like something out of a Stephen King novel. There was just nothing of interest there. Or should I say ; inviting.
Thinking back I remember my father telling me that was the first place he had seen a television. He told me of the time they had a television set in the front window and a crowd gathered to watch. It was an amazing thing. Dad told me they left that television on until late in the evening, about eight o'clock, and some stayed and watched, just standing there on the sidewalk transfixed. I don't recall Parsons Electric selling televisions, you had to go down hook for that. Maltasanti (sp) had an appliance store there. It wasn't far from Liberts barber shop.
The old hometown was a small town. I figured I had been in most of the stores. I didn't go to the ladies dress shops, of course, but just about everywhere else. Parsons Electric eluded my interest somehow. I'm sure it was a fine store and a good place to do business. I wonder what they sold there ? Lamps and electrical fixtures maybe ? Perhaps toasters and other electrical appliances. I guess I just never had the need to go in there.
It is good to get up and walk about a bit. You just never know what you might see. How many times I walked right past that store I couldn't say but it had to be hundreds. I didn't stop in on this visit either. But maybe, like in a Stephen King novel, I will one day.

footnote : to those of you that know the town I'm walking in don't beat me up too much on the facts. I'm getting older and the memories are starting to fade a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment