Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Meeting the Elephant

I have no great tale to tell. No big war stories. I neither deserved nor earned any prestigious medals for courage in the face of danger. No accolades for service above those normally awarded. I simply served my country as best as I could, and expect nothing in return. Nothing more that is, than what I have earned. Those promises contained within my enlistment contract. After twenty years of service, I retired. The old sailor moored and resting in dry dock.
When I first enlisted the Vietnam war was in full swing but beginning to wind down some. It wasn't that we were winning the war or that the enemy was losing their resolve, it was politics. The war had become a political nightmare and uncomfortable. Protests at home and unbelievably negative reactions to our troops was causing very low morale in the ranks. Those serving could not openly express their pride with the general public. It was a war without honor,at least in the public view. Those serving however, did so with honor. Honor and heroism go hand in hand. My participation was from a distance,supplying ammo to other ships at sea and refueling the combatants. In 1975 that war came to an end. No great victory was won and none was celebrated. I returned home in August of that year. No yellow ribbons or parades. It was back to civilian life.
In 1977 for various reasons I reenlisted in the Navy. Back to sea for this old salt. All remained calm during a time of relative peace. Not much opportunity for awards and heroic deeds during peacetime. Of course the plus side is, there was a significantly smaller chance of getting killed. That changed a little bit when in 1990 the Gulf War began. I was part of Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield. Again my primary mission was supplying ammo and oil to the combatants. I was off the coast and subject to attack but we were never seriously threatened. The Iraqis had nothing to intimidate us with. The closest we came was transiting the Straights of Hormuz where a scud missile could reach us. It never happened. I did receive,along with everyone else, a medal from the Kuwait government. A token of their appreciation. A nice gesture on their part and a medal I display with some pride. That action was the last of my war time experiences. I finished up my career and retired in 1993. Then I was transferred to the permanently retired list in 2001. The age of service or potential service exceeded. I would sail no more.
My Naval career was a time of service and commitment. I didn't really think of it that way at the time. It was a job that needed doing. I served alongside hundreds of others. Each one of us did our jobs to the best of our abilities. I am left with a few anecdotes and some stories. Nothing very exciting to tell. Now in my retirement I am pleased to see a swell of support for those who serve.
When you retire you are afforded an opportunity to give a little speech, say a few words. I recall a some of what I had to say. I spoke of long nights at sea and on watch. The months spent away from home and family and that loneliness. The one thing I will never forget is the people. I may not remember their names or faces but I remember them. Those nameless, faceless shipmates. I remember how they shared their lives,loves and loneliness with me. I listened to their stories and they listened to mine. I think about my shipmates often and wonder about their lives. It was a good time to serve and I would gladly do it all again. I do feel a little tinge of jealousy every now and again. It would be nice to be able to sit, as an old man, and tell tales of grand adventure and death defying feats but it was not my lot. Strange how you wouldn't want to be in those situations, but can feel a little jealous that you weren't. I have been fortunate and for that I am grateful. I am not alone. There are thousands of others that have served in relative obscurity. Those that went and were the fortunate ones. Time and circumstance shielding us. I am left wondering. Wondering if I could have met the challenge, to " meet the elephant " as the saying goes. An unanswered question and one best left that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment