Sunday, August 25, 2013

Is it necessary ?

School starts tomorrow. The grandchildren are all set and rarin' to go. If you were to pay attention to the television advertisements it is more about fashion than education. On one level there is some truth to that. New clothes have traditionally signaled the first few days of school. I think we got a weeks worth when I was growing up. We got more for Christmas, birthdays and Easter. Sometimes we did get a replacement pair of pants when we ripped the knees out beyond repair. I did have a lot of them with those iron on patches. I have been expecting the iron on patches to become a fashion fad, but haven't seen it yet. It would help out a lot of Moms and Dads. Of course fashion is seldom about practicality.
My granddaughter Morgan tells me they are starting the " common core " this year. She is in the fifth grade and the teacher has told her the common core for the fifth grade is like being in the seventh grade. She is a little nervous about that. I have done a little research into this common core stuff. What I take away from it is the teacher had best be teaching to the test ! I'm not convinced that is such a good thing. I really haven't read or studied enough about it to write an intelligent opinion. I have however noticed one thing in particular, there is no requirement to teach cursive writing in the common core. None. I have been aware that penmanship has not be a graded subject area for some time. My cursive handwriting style could only be described as chicken scratch. I remember being graded on that. The girls always seemed to have the best handwriting. Remember the three lined paper ? That was so you could form the letters properly. And they were supposed to slant slightly forward if I recall correctly. I remember vividly being told how terrible my penmanship was and how was I ever going to amount to anything if I couldn't write properly ? Poor penmanship was a sign of a scattered brain. Your writing should reflect the qualities of organization and clear, precise thoughts. It was important !
I am not sure we should teach cursive writing in school anymore. I myself very seldom use it,except when signing documents. A lawyer will tell you there is no requirement that you do so. You can print your name if you so desire, and it is just as legal and binding. On the other hand, I think it is an art. Perhaps not necessary but certainly beneficial. It does teach fine motor skills. Also if you can write in cursive, you can read it as well. I know that we type or print just about everything these days. E-mails and text messaging are the primary means of business communication these days. The written word, and by writing I mean writing, is becoming a thing of the past. Like the abacus that has been replaced by a pocket calculator and the slide rule by a computer program, cursive handwriting is no longer necessary. I still think a well rounded education should include its' use. As I have so often said, a hand written letter is far more personal and meaningful than any e-mail,text message or printed page. A well written letter in cursive can be a thing of beauty. Calligraphy has always impressed me and isn't cursive writing the basis for that ?
I'll go out on a limb here and say this much. It just seems to me the things that are being taught in school these days are all aimed at one goal. The receiving of grant money and funding based on standardized testing scores. The teachers are being forced to teach to the test. There ability to inspire the students is being hampered by the economic requirements. Yes some things we are taught we never use again but a well rounded education should include those things. No one has ever asked me to diagram a sentence but I still can. When was the last time you used algebra ? When was the last time you " wrote " a letter ? Will our children be able to do that ? Not if we don't teach them how, they won't. Cursive handwriting, necessary or not, I think it should be taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment