Sunday, October 17, 2021

what you lookin' at?

   There was a day when you could judge a man by the books in his library. Today we would have to see his browsing history. That is a thought I had some time back and it occurred to me again this morning. I thought some more about that and came to the conclusion that it comes down to what you are willing to pay for. Books costs money, the browser is free. What I mean is, your browser is like the worlds biggest library where you can look at all the material available. The difference however is that others can see exactly what it is you have been looking at. That has gotten more than one person in trouble. With the books in your library that is the record, the cache, as it is called on computers. If you purchased those books, you probably wanted them and placed value on them. With your browser books they may just be an entertainment, or a curiosity. Both of those things you may not want others to know about. Could be you are unwilling to "pay the price" for them, if you get my meaning. 
 We have taken to using browser history to judge others. That is quite evident when it comes to politicians. Whether it is social media or their browsing history, or the contents of their "library" judgement is swift to come to those that get exposed. Tweets or dissertations, it makes little difference. What they say or write will be in a meme on Facebook within a few minutes. The same is true with sports figures. Consider the recent case of Jon Gruden. It was the content of his library that cost him his job. He resigned in shame. A high price to pay indeed, millions of dollars in fact. And the FBI, an American institution that is supposed to protect us all will flag those who frequent certain volumes in the library. What "books" are you checking out? 
 I can say with absolute certainty that if you were to check my browser you would be confused. I frequently go to that library for every subject imaginable. I'm quite certain there are some that would be surprised at some of the things I read or take, at least momentarily, an interest in. I can also say, there is nothing in my browsing history I wouldn't want anyone to see, I would buy every bit of it. I can also say, with a degree of certainty, I'm glad I didn't have that library when I was a teenager! Yes, I'm certain I would have been checking out volumes of materials that would prove, shall we say embarrassing, today. I admit in years past I did purchase some literature strictly for "entertainment" purposes, even though I professed to read the articles. 
 Our computer browser is a record of our thoughts. That's how I think of that. You can adjust your settings to clear that history on a schedule, or use other means to prevent that information being saved. At least that is what I have been told and read about somewhere. They have ads on television for that search engine, Duck, Duck, Go that promises anonymity. Could be true but I'm a skeptic. If there is money to be made, and someone advertising a product obviously believes so, I'm skeptical. I guess that is just my nature. Fool me once and all that. That is another difference between your library and your browser. Your library doesn't record your thoughts, the things you haven't bought. That's what I'm thinking about. Everything I have ever read, looked at, or otherwise interacted with, doesn't indicate I agree with that. If you find something in my browser however, you make an assumption. Find it more than once, find it frequently, and you are convinced. If that book is in my library, same thing. 
 Click on your browsing history. Read that list. Is there anything on there you would want to delete? If so, why? Would it be because you wouldn't want anyone to know, or because you would be concerned with what conclusion they may draw? As for me, go ahead take a look I don't care. I am not looking or researching anything I have any concerns about. I have an explanation. If you are reading this you most likely already know I write about everything and anything. I have opinions and am not bashful about sharing them. I'm also not running for any office, looking for a job, a mate, or anything else. All of those things should alter your search history and the things you post. It's unfortunate, but it is a reality. Humor, sarcasm, and wit often are misunderstood. You have to be careful. 
 A final thought. When the government begins to regulate the internet and the content on that, the government is now controlling the library. That can't be a good thing. Only approved books allowed? I was writing about Tik-Tok yesterday. It was pointed out that Tik-Tok and the content allowed is different in America than it is in China. Why? Because China has a communist government that controls the library. I would rather be judged by the books in my library than by the pages in my browser. Content and context. Can't really have one without the other. When the government begins to regulate what is information and what is misinformation, one of the other is usually missing.    

1 comment:

  1. Once again you have digested some of our unpalatable reality and nourished us with your mastcations..thank you..perhaps you would enjoy Blackcat books in Shelter island if you are there.

    ReplyDelete