Wednesday, October 13, 2021

it was a Z-gram

 Today is the official day celebrated for the birth of the United States Navy. Two hundred and fort six years ago the Congress of the United States authorized the purchase and funding of a number of small craft to harass the British ships. Being a retired Navy man I remember having cake and ice cream on board the various ships I served on. Yes, we had birthday parties. That didn't start until 1972 though, when Admiral Zumwalt, then Chief of Naval Operations, made the thirteenth of October the official date. I guess he wasn't superstitious and just went with the historical record. I remember his famous Z-grams as they were called. He issued a number of them and some were quite shocking at the time. But I retired from the Navy twenty eight years ago and haven't really celebrated that day since. It's just an interesting note in history.
 Many people will think of the USS Constitution as being one of the first ships in the Navy. That's no where near the truth but she is the oldest Navy ship still in commission. She was built as a result of the Naval Act of 1794. Fact is, six ships were authorized and built  in response to the barbary coast pirates. Yes, it was those Muslim folks seizing our ships and men and demanding ransom be paid for their return. They had seized eleven in just one year! So General George, now the President, responded. Six ships were built, the Constitution being the third one finished. The names of the other five are as follows, United States, Constellation, President, Chesapeake and Congress. None of those five survive today. The United States was captured by the confederates during the civil war and they sank her. Constellation was scrapped in 1853. The President was captured by the British in 1815. Congress was scrapped in 1834 and the Chesapeake captured by the British in 1820 and her timbers sold off.
 So that's a bit of history for today. I am proud to have served in that service and think of my past shipmates often. It has been said that absence makes the heart grow fonder and I can testify to that truth. I do like the Navy a whole lot more today than I did back then. I have always wondered though just who drew the Navy flag. An Eagle, with wings spread, looks like the hull of a ship, but it is not, you have to look closely to realize the ship is actually behind the eagle. For me, it is a silly looking design and I wonder how that got authorized. I can only think in 1959 there was a different mindset. I also think it is probably the reason you don't see it very often either. Just my opinion though. But Happy Birthday Navy, fair winds and a following sea. 




 
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment