Friday, October 29, 2021

how it turns out

  I was talking with my wife about the passage of time. You know, how the grandkids are all grown up, off to College and planning their careers. It does make you wonder where the time has gone. And perhaps with the approach of the holidays a bit more sentiment is being kicked up. We are certainly reminded the holidays are coming soon enough these days. I remember as a child the time between Thanksgiving day and Christmas Day seemed like a year in itself. Those times are long gone. But as we chatted it occurred to me how ironic life can be. We start out hopeful, making plans, working towards our goals, and in the end we wind up wondering how it all turned out. 
 What I mean by that is, we will only ever know how it is going, so far. We don't get to the end of the road. Yes, we die before that happens. The hope is that we will know after that how it all turns out, isn't that the promise of heaven? The promise is that we will have eternal peace. That would have to include knowing how it all ended up. Thing is, in heaven does time stop, just stand still, or does time continue? If it stops you would never know how it all turns out because it would never happen. If time continues on but you are detached from that, all you could do is observe. Well unless you are allowed to intervene. Do you think God allows you to interfere with things? Or is that also a part of his plan, to have you interfere with the plan because that is the plan. 
 Now some of us are lucky enough to see our children grow and become their own persons. We aren't always expecting that and may be surprised by their choices. Still, it's a blessing to see that and, no matter their choices, at least we know. Then they may have children, our grandchildren. That's a blessing also, it's a kind of do over for raising children, although there are limits placed on that. The amount of involvement with that varies with each family and circumstance. I have been fortunate to be involved heavily with two of my grandchildren as they lived right down the street. My granddaughter that lives in upstate New York with her parents, not as much, but hopefully I have had some influence on her over the years. She is off to college as well. 
 Today I find myself standing on the doorstep so to speak. Those grandchildren are all just starting out their adult lives. They are building their hopes and dreams. What is in the future for them? Like all "senior" citizens I think about all of that. Having over six decades of experience and over six decades of unexpected events can leave you unsettled. Remembering my own plans, my dreams and expectations adds to that. That isn't meant to imply a disappointment in any way, just that things didn't go quite like I thought they would. But I do feel like I know how it turned out anyway. Yeah, there is more to come, but let's just say I'm not expecting much. And that is another ironic thing in life, the concern is more for how things go for others, than for yourself. My hope is that they get what they want, that their expectations are met. I'm interested in that, in how it all turns out. 
 Perhaps I will get to see what the grandchildren do in the future. Families, career, that sort of thing. Perhaps I will get to see great-grandchildren, I hope so anyway. But I am thinking beyond that, wondering how it will all turn out. I've traced the path of my ancestors a good bit and know how that turned out. I'm certain those ancestors would be surprised. But then again, maybe they would not. I can't know what their hopes, dreams and plans for the future were. Yes the day will come when I turn that final page, but that isn't the end of the book. I do want to know how it all ends. I suppose the real question is, does it end? Eternity is a difficult concept to grasp. Personally I don't think it ends, it just starts over. Seems like everything in the universe is circular to me. What's old is new again, that old adage. 
"The hope of eternal life is not to be taken up upon slight grounds. It is a subject to be settled between God and your own soul; settled for eternity. A supposed hope, and nothing more, will prove your ruin." ( Ellen G White)     

No comments:

Post a Comment