Saturday, October 16, 2021

a new village

 I was watching CBS This Morning, yesterday, not sure why, I guess it was just on but it caught my attention for a few minutes anyway. They were talking about Tik-Tok and the way it is influencing children. I was curious about that as I don't know much about this Tik-Tok thing other than stupid challenges that the kids seem to catch on to. The had a man named Michael Beckerman on the show representing Tok-Tok. I'm not sure what his position in the company is. He did his best to defend that platform, explaining the rules and all that. And I say defend because that is exactly what he had to do. Now, not having a dog in this fight, as the saying goes, I didn't care about the outcome. I was surprised at the way the questioning went. And yes, it was a questioning, well really more of an inquisition! There was three reporters grilling that guy. I felt like they were attacking him personally and with some vengeance for reasons I didn't understand. For instance, he stated that Tik-Tok has a policy that you are supposed to be thirteen to use some of the features. That was enforced based on the year of birth the user entered. With that , they pounced on him. It is known that some of the kids are lying about their ages and what is he doing about that! Those children could be exposed to things they shouldn't see or hear! Tik-Tok is responsible for that. I don't know what they expected him to say. what can you do? Imagine people, children even, being less than forthright. Why it's a social issue that needs to be addressed. And they attacked this guy several times on various "problems" similar to that. As I said, I don't know much about it, or really care what Tik-Tok is doing, but I was annoyed at the way they attacked this guy. It wasn't an interview, a fact finding mission, or a discussion, felt more like they ambushed the guy to me. Then they went on about what the kids were posting, these challenges especially. They acted like he should have control over everything that is posted! Then I realized, I was listening to liberals. Facts and the reality of everyday life is foreign to them. It offends them. And that explains their reaction. They were offended.
 I couldn't help but remember when I was a kid and the things I did. No there wasn't any Tik-Tok or social influencers back then. The only thing going Tik-Tok was my grandfathers clock and social influencers, well they were called bad actors and delinquents, and I was told to stay away from those guys! I didn't always do that and sometimes I even lied about that when asked. No, I don't know anything about that. I do remember engaging in a challenge while in elementary school. It was called the "punk" test. The challenge was to rub a quarter across the back of your hand one hundred times without flinching. I did it, opened up a sore that subsequently got infected. I have a scar to this day because of that. Yeah kids were involved with doing stupid things long before Tik-Tok. And I also knew were I could "see" things I wasn't supposed to be seeing as well. Not much new about that. 
 In that entire segment on CBS this morning as they grilled that guy over what Tik-Tok allowed or enabled , as they liked to put that. you know those damn enablers are everywhere, I heard no mention of parents doing anything. I thought it should be pointed out that these children, especially the ones under 13, are not buying the electronic devices or paying for internet access, or data, whatever it is they need, to access Tik-Tok. Not one of the reporters suggested that the parents just not allow their children to be on that site. No, the responsibility was placed on Tik-Tok and what they were going to do. Didn't work that way when I was a kid. I was told the rules and if I chose to break those rules I was held accountable for that, not whoever or whatever provided was banned! The Sear and Roebuck catalog wasn't blamed for having a lingerie section! The Schaefer brewing company wasn't in trouble for making beer. And the shop keeper wasn't responsible for my lies! Hey, maybe Dad did want that beer and cigarettes. 
 Now in the interest of being fair they did talk about limiting the amount of time children should be allowed to use social media. It was suggested that responsible parents would limit that. My parents were very responsible, I was told not to look at that stuff period! No, I wasn't allowed to engage in what they felt was potentially harmful activities at all. I question this mindset that something can be only a little wrong, a little harmful or bad, sometimes, and that is alright. Well, as long as you limit the amount of time you allow it. They did talk about privacy concerns too. The privacy of those children under thirteen especially, should parents be looking at what their children are looking at? The answer to that is simple enough, NO. Children shouldn't be exposed to adult themed material. And Yes, parents should be looking at everything and anything those children are doing! They get there privacy when they are old enough to be trusted with that responsibility. 
 Yes I know it is a new day, a new age and all that. The job of parenting however hasn't changed one bit in my opinion. That responsibility has not been delegated to anyone else, it is still your responsibility! It has been said it takes a village to raise a child and I agree with that. Things is, it is up to the parent to create that village for there child. Where are you letting them go for play? First I played with my siblings, then those in kindergarten. My village expanded as I showed my parents I could act in a responsible fashion, I could be trusted. Today parents are just handing children these electronic devices and turning then loose in the world! Then they complain and place blame elsewhere when things go wrong. It was a big deal when I was allowed to go to the corner store by myself. Today kids are going virtually everywhere and anywhere being exposed to everything. It must be confusing and a bit frightening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment