Tuesday, January 26, 2021

A unifying message?

  I hear a lot of buzz about this Amanda Gorman, the poet at Joe Bidens inauguration. I hear that Morgan State offered her a job, doing what I'm not sure. I tried watching that recitation but admit to not making it to the end. I did go online and get a transcript of it however. A poem? Well a few of the words did rhyme, even though that isn't a prerequisite to composing a poem. Many people seem to believe what she wrote was wonderful, inspiring even. That isn't what I read though. I read a condemnation of the previous administration with veiled references to how evil that was. She wrote, " We've seen a force that would shatter our nation, rather than share it. Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy. And this effort very nearly succeeded." It's clear what she is talking about and yes, the Democrats cheer! If you continue reading this poem you can see where it is a call to action, indeed a call to incite! So for me I hear it as a condemnation of the country, the very country that afforded this young person the opportunity to speak. A chance to spread propaganda to those that would listen and be beguiled by a silver tongue. I am not so easily fooled. What I read was nothing short of a condemnation of  America. 
 It's quite obvious why she was chosen. Hers was a message of "we" meaning the democrat's can unify the country. It was more of an admonishment than an inspiration. The underlying message was clear when you look past the flowery words and reconciliatory phrasing. America has been a terrible nation but we can make it better. Any ideas you may have had concerning America's greatness should be cast aside. It's going to be a new world order. The Americans will be usurped! " but while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated." Those are her words, her thought. What is she saying? Democracy delayed? Yes it has been for 244 years and if I have my way will remain that way. We live in a Republic, a government of the people and by the people, not a simple democracy with mob rules! Perhaps this young lady isn't aware of that. I just found the whole dissertation as a hypocritical condemnation of America and American values. 
 Yeah I know, she's wildly popular. I don't care. She reads well, puts on a captivating performance, articulate in a refined Rap sort of way. But I found her message to be false, hypocritical and condescending. " We will rebuild, reconcile and recover" recover from what? And this is supposed to be a message of mercy and unity? Only if you agree with them, only if you agree. If not, "we will rise" is repeated over and over again in that poem. "We" who is we? It isn't we the people that she is talking about, she is talking about a political ideology, one to replace the Republic. I really don't care about her age, ethnicity, or background. I read her words and the meaning is clear. and I don't agree with the premise she proposes. Democracy must be defeated at every turn, just as it has been, as Franklin stated, a Republic, if you can but keep it. I will not surrender the Republic. Nope, ain't going to happen. A unifying message, an inspiration? No, I don't think so.    

2 comments:

  1. You missed the point. The portion that you quoted of Ms Gorman's amazing piece was about the attempted coup at the Capital building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful realistic analysis Ben..And the courage to express it so beautifully..Not many are willing to declare “The Emperor has no clothes”..

    ReplyDelete