Friday, December 25, 2020

Tradition remains

  Merry Christmas to one and all. That is my wish and my thought for the morning. It is my wish that each and every one reading this, and even those that aren't, enjoy this day for what it is. And this, this is a day of hope and promise. When we are children it is about hoping for that special gift, that one thing you just have to have. Then it changes to hoping you can give to others. Eventually we will all come to understand what this day celebrates. It is a celebration of a promise fulfilled. So God loved the world that he gave us his only begotten son. Words I have heard spoken since I was a little child and only as a parent began to understand the depths of that love. And now, the day is here, let us celebrate. 
  I'm waiting for my grandson to come over early this morning. He is coming to Grandma and Grandpa's house for hot cocoa and donuts. He is our college man now and it only seems fitting. Perhaps it will become a new tradition. That's a nice thought. But traditions aren't created, they are born. Strange thing is the birth of tradition is seldom ever known. I have a tradition of "listening to the Christmas tree" and it is a private tradition. When or how I started that I can't be sure but it holds significance to me. Others view it differently, as foolish or odd, but that makes no difference to me. I can't honestly say I have done that every year, some years it is only for a few moments, others it may last a few minutes. But always it is a remembrance of the past. A time for reflection and a time to say thanks. 
  A little later, after his visit to our house, we will go to his. There we will celebrate with our family and share in the joy and laughter. No little children to create that frenzy associated with Christmas morning. No, now before the gifts are unwrapped the paper and bows will be admired. Comments will be exchanged about how pretty this paper is or how cleverly the gift was wrapped.  It is a measured response, a calm. No one will be rushing to rummage through the pile of gifts to find Theirs. Each gift will be lifted up, the card read, and handed to the individual. It won't take long before that is over. There will be no cleanup, as the paper has been discarded as the gift was unwrapped, placed in the proper receptacle. It's all so measured and calm. I do miss that and look forward to having great grandchildren one day. If I am fortunate enough I will witness that chaos of excitement on Christmas morning once again. 
  So today I do wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy your day and your traditions. Life goes on and traditions remain. The year two thousand  twenty one is one week away. I'm still not used to saying two thousand anything. Well, enjoy the day for all the gifts it brings. After all, today is the present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment