Sunday, December 13, 2020

reminders

  As the year pass by my home is filling with memories, and reminders. The reminders are the pictures, trinkets, and other objects collected over time. Just yesterday I walked by a photo of my sister, really one of those cards given to you at a funeral. The individuals picture and a short description and words of love printed below. That picture sits framed on a special shelf. Over the corner of that frame I have draped a silver cross with a silver ribbon. The sun struck that cross as I passed by it and caught my eye. A sense of sorrow passed over me, two years, my sister has been gone for two years already and I miss her. With Christmas upon us and the writing of those cards I suppose the feeling is heightened just a bit. I have an address book that is at least 25 years old. As I flip the pages I do notice the names of those that are no longer with us either by distance or by death. I wouldn't think of getting rid of that book though, I do strike a line through the addresses that are no longer valid. Old addresses and old phone numbers. There are times I'm tempted to mail a card or letter to those addresses, or to dial that number, just to see, but I never do. If only. 
 In the instant I noticed that cross once again I was back in '66. That's 1966. My sister and I both received a silver cross, presented by the Reverend Samuel Davis, St. Luke's church, East Hampton, N.Y. It being so many years ago I don't recall the exact number but they were an award for perfect attendance as members of the Junior choir. We had joined that together. We went to Saturday practice at the meeting hall and sang at the childrens service, 9am if my memory is correct. At first Mom would give us a ride to that practice on Saturdays. Later, as we grew a bit older we made our way there either by walking or riding our bicycles. It was, after all, only three miles from home. We would stop and see our Aunt who worked at Scribners jewelry and later at Whites pharmacy. The jewelry store burned down along with the movie theater in 1964. That same building was also the home to the Marmador, what we would call a soda shop, and our aunt would buy us a malt. We could also stop at Grandmas' house, she was always home. I'm thinking 1966 would have been the last year my sister was in that choir she being two years older than I, outgrowing the Jr. choir. She had saved that cross all those years. I have no idea what happened to the one I was awarded. After her passing my brother in law gave that cross to me, for the obvious reasons. Now all these years later the ribbon is a bit faded and a little tarnish is on that silver plate. I will not attempt to polish it though, preferring to leave it as I received it. 
 Yes I felt a tinge of sadness as my attention was drawn to it once again. A reminder, with the date printed on it. December 4th, 2018 is the day my sister went to heaven. I believe that and I believe she is in the choir. Not that either of us were very accomplished singers, but we were there. Every Saturday, rain or shine, summer and winter. We had a few adventures on our way home from choir practice and from church. I remember hitch hiking home with her, a guy stopped and we got in. My sister was scared to death but held my hand and tried to chat nervously with the driver. Then he said, you're Ben Reicharts' kids aren't you? We immediately felt relieved, well until he asked, does he know you're hitch hiking? We lied, saying sure. And then he says, I'll be sure to tell him I gave you a ride. If he did we never heard about it, but we sure were worried for a while. We never hitched a ride again. At least my sister never did, I did later on in life, when I was in the Navy. Never got a ride from anyone that knew who I was. 
 It's a good thing to have those reminders around. We get busy living our lives sometimes, get worried about things. Then I am reminded, reminded of all the good times and how blessed I have been over the years. My sister is with me, I know that. So are all the others. I'll keep telling the stories. Choir children? Yes we were. Perfect attendance for, I think four years, got you silver. My sister however, deserved Gold for sure. 
                                                                                   

      

No comments:

Post a Comment