Sunday, November 1, 2020

wisdom

 How is it that everyone is getting old around me? I expect I'm not the only one that feels this way, just that a lot of others don't want to admit it. It can be advantageous to play the "old" card, get you out of doing stuff you really would just not rather do. You know what I mean, those little chores, deeds or favors people will ask or expect of you. It is also a good reason to say, oops, I forgot. I understand all that and have played that card a few times but do so with a secret grin, I'm not really that old. I could do it if I wanted to. I see others that can't keep up. they are getting older, but not me, I'm not that old yet.
 Some folks have strange ideas about growing older and what it is to be young. I'm talking about those folks deciding they are old because they don't act young. Thing is, they are confused about being young. Being young doesn't mean doing stupid things, acting foolish and being irresponsible. Oh, wait a minute, yes it does. When you quit doing that we call it being mature. Modern maturity is being old and refusing to accept that. At least that what those trying to sell us retirement homes have to say. We can still live active lifestyles, have romantic interests, and just party our golden years away. No need to worry, medical teams are in house, standing by, just in case. Old folks trying to recreate their youth, or what they think their youth should have been. Footloose and fancy free just like when we were children, but with money! Is that the dream? You can have the things you want, do what you like, and you don't have to work for it. And it can all be excused because, well, you're old. I can't say for sure not having enough money to test that theory. I still have bills to pay, I have to be responsible. 
 But the thing is I have noticed that the young people aren't so young anymore. It isn't that I have aged, they have. That's what I meant when I said, everyone is getting old around me. My kids aren't kids anymore and I have to remind myself of that every now and again. After all, they have only been married for a couple decades. The grandchildren have been driving for a few years already, one is off to college and the others seniors in high school. They have gotten older, but not me, I'm just the same as I was when they were born. Yeah, I was working then and have since retired. But retired doesn't mean I ain't doing nothing. In fact the word retired says it all, it's re-tired meaning I'm just tired again. Maybe that's why retired people take naps. Another throwback to being young, I enjoyed my naps then and I still enjoy them today. So how can I be getting older? I'm not, just those around me are. 
 They say age is just a matter of attitude, and I suppose there is some truth in that. The way I feel is dependent upon my attitude. Thing there is, others effect my attitude. It's the others that make me grumpy! Yeah, everyone wants to say, you're grumpy, blame you for that, but it is those others that make you grumpy. Then, when grumpy, it is time for a nap. It's also when I will play the, I'm old, card. In that way I can just do what I want, like a child that gets his way, I win that battle. There are times when it is good to be old. I'm playing that card as often as circumstance will allow. Now I know I'm not that old but those around me think I might be and that's fine. I know the truth, they are all getting old but not me. I'm just using the lessons of youth to live today, now that the expectations have been removed. I don't have to be anywhere at any time, I control that now. I'm not expected to "know better" at least no one will tell me that. The foolish things I do will be excused, laughed off, as "cute" in a show of affection. And when all else fails you can always play the , I need help with this gambit. Kids do that all the time. It makes the other person feel superior in some fashion and they are anxious to show off their skills. The only difference being you can say, I used to do this but I'm just not able anymore, play the pity card. And if something is new, say invented within the last twenty years, you can feign ignorance and get a younger person to help. Works every time. 
 Getting older? Not me, but I'm sure watching those around me grow up. They are getting older, wiser, and beginning to understand. Now I'm just waiting for the day to come around when they have that revelation. It'll come to them one day. Wisdom is timeless, it knows no age. I'm willing to share that wisdom. All they have to do is listen! Been telling these kids that for years, one day they will hear the message. I'm not old, I'm wise beyond my years. When years equal the wisdom that is wellspring of youth.       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment