Sunday, November 8, 2020

got it

  Smug self righteousness is what it is sometimes called and is a bad thing. Yeah I get it, I understand the sentiment exactly. But I have to admit it, in some situations it is the most satisfying feeling of all. It is something I do relish in, a guilty pleasure, a satisfaction. What is it? It is when I am able to simply make a statement, an irrefutable statement, a point in fact, when I can say, I told you so. Yes, that's what it is and I make no apology for that. Sometimes I can make that statement almost immediately following the action someone else has taken, and at others I have to wait. Patience is a virtue is the old axiom and I agree with that. This morning I find myself having to be patient. Still I can exercise that patience firm in the knowledge that the day will come, I will be able to say, I told you so! And yes, I will gloat. Even as I suffer the injury there action caused myself and others I will feel a sense of satisfaction in pointing out that one simple truth, I told you so!
 I'm not always right but take comfort in knowing I'm right more than I'm wrong. That's how I made it this far in life. Sure I made mistakes, took a few wrong turns, and have had others say to me, I told you so, and they were correct, but still, I'm on the highway. I have gained a bit of foresight over the years able to see past the end of my own nose anyway. With many others I'm not so certain. Seems to me many have compromised the truth for a short term gain. They feel like they won. Yeah I know that feeling too, been there and done that. But the day comes when you realize the prize just wasn't worth the price you have to pay. Like winning that kewpie doll at the local carnival you enjoy it at the moment and later wish you had just kept your money. When the high of winning wears off and you are left with reality it can be sobering. 
 Setting aside any excuses I have fabricated in my own thoughts, or actual events that took place, the electorate has spoken. Whether or not the truth has been spoken isn't the point at this time. The fact remains, Joe Biden is presumed to be the next president of the United States. As much as I hate to admit it, that is reality. It is also most likely what will happen. I have expressed my thoughts about what that will mean to America. I have laid out what I believe will happen in the coming months and years. There isn't much I can do to stop that. As anyone that knows me will tell you, I will continue to voice my opinions. I'll say I will remain silent, but I won't. No, I'm being patient though, waiting, waiting for that moment, and there will be a good number of them in the future when I can just say, I told you so! I won't deny myself that pleasure. 
 The truth is much of what will come to pass won't affect me that much on a personal level. I'm retired and so won't lose my job. I'm not trying to raise a family anymore, just trying to take care of the wife and I. We don't need much in the way of luxuries. We can park the car for days on end saving that gas for when we really need it. We don't eat out much anyway and already shop at Walmart so we won't miss the little shops that will no longer be in business. Mandates and lockdowns won't really bother us a whole lot. The kids will grow up believing all that is just normal. The saddest part is there will be no where else to go, no place to run, legally or otherwise. Still, I'll remain patient, we get to do this all again in another four years. It's my hope that the "win" will have worn off by then and reality becomes fashionable once again. For all those celebrating today all I can say is, it's about to get real, better buckle up, it's going to take more than fidget spinners and safe spaces to save you this time. 
 I'll be here to tell you, I told you so. Looking forward to that as a matter of fact. There is a silver lining. Yeah I'm upset that so many will have to go through so much, even those voting for this. But like raising your children sometimes that is what it takes. You can explain it to them, argue with them, even impose your will upon them at times, but in the end there is only one simple thing that they understand, that's when you say, Told you so. Then they get it. That happens after they got it. Ironic isn't it? 

1 comment:

  1. What you...or trump...believe doesn't mean it will or has happened. You have every right to believe what you want to, even if and when you are wrong.

    ReplyDelete