Saturday, November 28, 2020

earning it

  When I was a kid going to church we spent more time praying than praising. At least that is the way I remember it being. The preacher would explain to us what we were doing wrong, it was right there in the Bible plain enough for everyone to read. He would read the passages and tell us all what they meant, just in case there was any confusion about that. Things were certainly more definite back in the day. This was wrong, that was right. You could be forgiven but that wasn't a guarantee. That was the reason for all the praying. Sure we sang songs, to sort of fill in the gaps. Singing wasn't going to get you into heaven though, that took obedience. Obedience showed that you were serious about doing the right thing. Just throwing your hands up in the air and shouting praises wouldn't cut it, no sir, it took action. And I was taught it was like Santa Claus, God always knew what you were doing! He wouldn't stop you from doing it though, just mark it down in the book. The book of life! Your life. It was up to you to write that book but you didn't get to chose the ending, or even when the book ends for that matter. For that reason you had be writing good stuff every day. 
 Now I admit to not attending church services on a regular basis for a number of years now. I just sort of got out of the habit. It was a habit when I was young. Went every Sunday and have a Bible signed by the Reverend himself to prove that. I knew the service forward and backward. I was aware of the Christian year, season by season. I knew all the prayers, all the rituals, and they were a comfort. The truth of it all,  it was more of a lesson in how to live my life, than praising any God. Every Sunday I was reminded of my shortcomings, every Sunday I did examine the past week. Then I knew why I was praying. I'd say it was more encouragement than empowerment. And today I think that is what it is all about in many of these churches, the ones outside the old established denominations. Evangelical is often the term used for that. It's all about praising and singing and less about praying. Of course that is just my opinion based on little more than what I see on television, probably not the best source of information. 
 I have been thinking about that as it relates to society in general. Many are abandoning the church altogether as a form of social interaction. Others are doing the whole "praise" thing playing in a band and joining together in that. Is it praise or entertainment? I guess it is both and that's alright. But I do think it is the difference between encouragement and empowerment. I believe they really are different things altogether. Empowerment is permission given to someone to do something. In my way of thinking, what I was taught, I didn't need your permission to do a thing, that power resides within me. Certainly receiving encouragement is a beneficial thing, but it isn't a necessity. I can do it on my own. Independence, that is what I was taught. If you want something you have to get it by yourself. You can't get it just for the asking, nor can you force others to comply with your wishes. I do not require empowerment from anyone! 
 That isn't what I'm seeing these days. Now all I hear about are fundraisers, programs, and a means to have others "empower" you and your dreams. Your success is always contingent upon that. You want to be a doctor but you shouldn't have to pay for medical school. You want this or that, you should automatically receive that. If you can't pass the test, we will lower the standard. Every job should pay you all the money you want! It shouldn't be tied to what you know, what you accomplish, or any of that, it should provide you with the things you want. Need is not the primary consideration. Along with that the employer has no right to tell you when to work, how to work, and the manner in which you dress. If you don't like any of that, the employer needs to change their policies. If they don't, you sue them. That's what I see, everyone waiting to be empowered. Thinking they should just get what they want for the asking. Just like forgiveness. Well it don't work that way, you have to earn it. That's my thinking anyway.    

No comments:

Post a Comment