Sunday, November 22, 2020

it's different

  It began when we took Sunday off the calendar. When we became more concerned with commerce than reflecting upon the week past. I think that is what many did when going to church. It wasn't so much about praising God and all that, but time for a review. We sat in those pews and listened to the preacher. We got on our knees and prayed. We prayed for the things we had done wrong, or prayed that God would help others in need. But sometime during the 1950's or 60's that change began. The stores remained open, business was booming. Families no longer went to church together for that social meeting, now they just went shopping. All the other distractions were available and we chose that. It was an avoidance really, no need to dwell on our mistakes, our shortcomings, or admit them to anyone, including our God. We could just continue on. Sunday became a day for entertainment, for entertaining ourselves. Saturday wasn't enough, we now wanted the whole weekend. By 1968 we had established the Uniform holiday act, ensuring three day weekends! No closing down businesses for Sunday or holidays anymore. Well, except for Federal employees anyway, and State employees if that state agreed. Government workers would receive full pay and the holiday off. Retail workers however, not so much. Service industries the same way, just keep working. 
 I think that change, the elimination of what was called blue laws, did fundamentally change American society in ways unimagined. It was like an official declaration that God wasn't a necessary piece in our lives. We could acknowledge that God, or not, whatever we wished. The pressure was off. Now we could say, I have to work as an excuse. Prior to that it was rather expected that you would go to church on Sunday. The only ones that weren't doing that were the Jewish folks, they went on Friday night. Some say it was their lobbying to be open on Sunday that precipitated that change. It could very well be but I don't know that for sure. But I do believe that parents sent their children to church even when they didn't necessarily attend on a regular basis themselves. As a result the children did receive moral instruction, often of a more strict nature than what they received at home. It was a time of, do as I tell you, not as I do. Not a bad thing in my opinion. 
 In my opinion that also changed the way the church operates. The church itself has to attract more business. There are more options these days, options fully accepted by society in general. I recall when the Catholic church first started with the Bingo games. It was quite controversial in its' day, gambling in the church, with the Priest calling the numbers? Yes it was change from the bazars of old as a fundraising device. The object was to attract revenue, not parishioners. Soon all the churches were doing that, then the fire companies took over. Then more "entertainment" was added to the services. Guitar playing and other forms of entertainment provided a more casual atmosphere. Today some churches have full rock and roll bands, I think they call it praise music though. Well whatever it is, it is entertaining. When I went to church as a young man I wasn't entertained, that wasn't the purpose. I went to reflect and repent as required. Heaven wasn't a guarantee, that had to be earned. 
 Now all of this is not to be construed as a bad thing. I am just telling what, in my view, has transpired, over the years. They are my observations. I've found as you grow older you can look to the past with an objective eye. I suppose that is for a very simple reason, you can't change the past. And for me, I feel no need to justify that past. It is what was and I do my best to explain my participation in it. That is what going to church was for me anyway. I did have to explain myself, to myself. Going to church sometimes felt like an exoneration for the past week. It was a new beginning of sorts. It's true that I don't attend church these days. It was a habit I got out of for a number of reasons. None of them are truly valid but excuses don't have that requirement anyway. The few times I have attended lately I found to be a strange experience. The people are just a little too chummy for me, turn to your neighbor and shake hands, embrace each other, no, I'm not comfortable with that. Standing with your hands in the air, no, not for me. I really don't go to church to praise so much as ask forgiveness. I enter the church with an attitude of contriteness. I am in his house! I'm on my best behavior. Contrite. It all seems a little too aggressive to me these days, the way they worship. It's just different. 
 The church is a reflection of the society. The business of establishing moral and ethical values is a difficult one. The business is suffering these days. A new business model is being established. It has always been so, nothing really new about it, but I've been around long enough to notice. It all seems a bit more aggressive, more forward. A new attitude. As I said, I'm not saying it is wrong, just different.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment