Tuesday, November 3, 2020

election day

  Well it's finally here, election day in America. The news is showing how they are boarding up Manhattan! It's an amazing sight but more amazing that people are recognizing the need to do so. It isn't a question of if, it's the certainty of will. The talking heads are making a last ditch attempt to sway the electorate. In my opinion, a futile attempt, no one is changing their minds at this point. I will be going to the polls this morning, discharging my duty as a citizen of the greatest country ever conceived. Yes, I said that and stand by it. If you believe any European nation, any Scandinavian nation, or any nation anywhere else on the globe or in outer space is better, I suggest you just go there, bye, bye. 
 I will not be watching the election results as they come in. I do not subject myself to that mess. I would rather get up in the morning and hear what happened. As difficult as it may be I do have to trust the system to function as it has been designed. After all the speculation, the counting will begin. The electoral college will decide the next President and that is how that works. I am not in favor of dismantling our Constitution because I'm not happy with the outcome, regardless of who is declared the winner. You can complain about the rules all day long, but in the end as long as the rules are followed, you have to accept the result. 
 It is my hope that whatever the outcome of this election is that no one gets hurt. I have to say I feel like a kid at Christmas though, making out a list for Santa, I'm not really counting on getting it all, but it doesn't hurt to ask. There will be those that refuse to act in a civilized fashion and "protest" causing property damage, hence the boarding up, ready for the hurricane of dissent! I will not speculate as to which "faction" will do all of that, just that, I'm pretty sure it will happen. Never let a good election go to waste! It will be an excuse for further looting, a way to get away with it. The mob! I will point out that Aristotle said: " Republics decline into Democracies" And true Democracies are nothing but Mob rule. I'm afraid that many just fail to understand the difference. You can't buy Freedom, you have to earn it. Once earned it really is as Ben Franklin said when asked what kind of government have you given us, " a Republic, if you can but keep it. " But the time for talk is over, time to head to the polls.   

1 comment: