Thursday, August 27, 2020

just irritated

 This morning as I checked my Facebook page I was once again sucked in. Yes, it happens all the time with those long posts. I'm sure you know the ones that sometimes begins with, this is a test or no one reads my posts. These long posts usually conclude with cancer sucks or some other malady in life sucks. Then you are encouraged, implored or shamed into the "copy and paste" thing, don't share share or like. I do not copy and paste to satisfy someone else's insistence that I do so. I will not be coerced, shamed or otherwise bullied into performing that action. No, I just get annoyed that I spent my time reading through an entire paragraph because I feel like someone must have something important to say, at least they feel it is important. Informing me that cancer sucks and/or peoples' lives matter, doesn't qualify in my opinion. I'm well aware of that! So I'm left with the question, why? Why are people doing this? What is the motivation behind making statements like, no one reads long postings, or, I know who will read my postings and who will skip over them. This is a test? A test of what? If I don't read your long posting, that you copied and pasted from someone else, that means I don't care about you, or in fact, I just don't care about the rest of the world! I'm just a self centered person that skips over stuff I don't want to read.
 Yes I know, it is to raise awareness. That's what everyone says about that stuff. If you know someone, or you yourself have been effected by cancer or whatever, copy and paste. Well, I know several people suffering from cancer, I lost my sister to cancer, and I myself have had cancer. I've also had a heart attack. Still I feel no need to inform anyone else about any of that. All I can do personally is offer support and pray for those that suffer from whatever it is they are suffering from. Copying and pasting a message on Facebook isn't going to do a thing! I'm quite certain anyone old enough to be on Facebook is aware that cancer sucks and so does any number of negative things! No different than this whole mantra about " racism" is wrong. Ah, yeah I think everyone already knows that.
 Well whatever. I suppose if that somehow makes you feel better about yourself, or in some fashion brings you comfort about having done your part, there is no real harm in it. It annoys me but perhaps others really enjoy that. The thing is, to me, it is like the boy who cried wolf. Given time I will just begin skipping over such posts. I do like to read what others are saying or talking about. Isn't that one of the reasons for social media? We, humans, are a curious bunch, inquiring minds what to know. I am willing to read your postings when you have something you wish to share, whether there are pictures or not. The length of the post only effects my decision to read it after I begin reading it. Not unlike a book or magazine article, if it remains interesting I will continue to read. Then, like this morning, I was fooled once again, thinking this person had something to share only to reach the end where it was declared I should copy and paste! If I didn't, well the Facebook Gods will condemn me to hell I suppose. Well, all I can say is , it is a familiar place.
 There, I feel better for having written, basically the only means I have of speaking out loud on this social media/internet world, my feelings about the whole copy and paste this thing. It is my feeling if what I'm writing is worth repeating someone will copy and paste that without my having to implore them to do so. It's what I do anyway. I'm capable, I know how to do it, learned to copy and paste a while back, but only do so when I want to, seldom when I'm told to, and never when I'm threatened to do so. It's an annoyance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment