Saturday, August 1, 2020

generations

 And just like that, the grandchildren aren't children anymore. Just like becoming a senior citizen you wake up one morning to discover that. It's difficult to say when or how that happened exactly, but it did. All at once you are not eating corn on the cob anymore and find yourself putting on a sweater, in July. Then the grandchildren stop by and start complaining about the cost of an oil change and the electric bill. Just how did that happen? Or they begin to talk about stuff you just as soon not talk about. Well, they have reached that age, and a little beyond, where they know everything. But as I sat here this morning on the first day of August in the year 2020, I realized it has happened. The grandchildren aren't children anymore. It's rather sad. Now I'm feeling a little in between. You know, like kids feel at certain times in their lives. I'm full grown, an adult, although that has come under question lately, a parent and a grandparent. The next logical step would be great grandparent. I'm not ready that. That would entail my grandchildren having babies! Whoa, hold on there. things are going just a little too fast.
 The truth is it does seem like time is going by a little too quickly. Here it is August already. I know this coronavirus has had an impact on that. For others, those that are unemployed, it must seem a lot different than for me. Little has changed in my life in that regard. Sure I have to wear a mask in public places, stay six foot back from others, and some things have been closed to me. But, it has had little impact on me. I'm not one to suffer from anxiety from what the main stream media spits out as "news." I'm well aware news these days is more about sales than information. It's just a business like all others these days. So, for me, time has just been moving on as usual. I admit I am getting anxious for November. I'll be glad when that is over. If I do have any anxiety, it is for that. But as Scarlet would say, I'll worry about that tomorrow.
 Tomorrow my wife, daughter in law, and granddaughter are going to a baby shower. This shower is for my wife's sisters' granddaughter. I still think of her, the granddaughter, as a child as I seldom see her and my frame of reference is different. My mind knows otherwise but my internal clock is a bit confused. Anyway, that doesn't make me feel any older, after all not my great grandchild, I'm not that old. It's a bittersweet time though as Joan, my wifes' sister will have been gone three years this September. Joan would have been so thrilled. Ah, but that is the way generations work. And that's what I mean when I say the grandchildren aren't children anymore. Another generation is just beginning as the first fades away. And I'm just watching almost as a detached observer would be. I'm not concerned at all. I find myself recording all this stuff, sometimes called life or living, as a continuous journal of commentary. It doesn't happen every day but it did this morning. It's just a realization, something of note. That's why I jotted it down, the grandchildren aren't children anymore. I have to be reminded of that. Of course I have to be reminded that my kids aren't kids anymore, they will only be 45 this year, not even half a century. Takes that much time to begin to understand living. And you know that's the only problem with being a senior, you have to put up with all these kids! The whole deal is rather ironic if you think about. When you are little you can't wait to grow up, have children of your own, Then you want grandchildren. And in the end, the darn kids are driving you crazy! They don't listen to you, they tell you they know everything, and begin to try to boss you around. It's back to the beginning. Time is a circle and therefore has no end. We are all stuck in the loop. And that, that is why we pray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment