Friday, August 28, 2020

incomprehensible

 I was involved in a short discussion yesterday with an unknown individual. I don't recall this persons name as it is not of importance. We held different views on the current situation/main stream media narrative regrading BLM, rioting, protesting and well generally everything. Now I expect to encounter these people online as I'm certain they expect to encounter people like myself and so am not usually surprised by any of that. Yesterday however my eyes did open just a little further. This individual who appeared to be an adult female judging solely by her profile picture, I didn't go to her page to investigate, states unequivocally. there is no law that says I have to obey the commands of the Police! I admit, I was taken aback a bit by that statement. You do live in America, right? She assured me that she indeed lived in America where we have freedom, and that freedom includes ignoring the police. That right is based on, presumption of innocence. Yes, that was her reasoning. Until you are proven guilty, in a court of law, you don't have to obey the police at all. Basically she is saying, if you refuse to be questioned, refuse to be detained, refuse to cooperate with the police, you have that right in America! Why? You are presumed to be innocent, that's why. I know, I'm still trying to process that myself. This is an adult voting in our elections? I ended my discussion with her at that point as I could see no reason to continue. If she in fact believes you do not have to obey law enforcement officers in the line of duty, what could I possibly say?
 My eyes did open a bit as I realized there really are people that haven't been taught about respecting authority. And it is respecting authority that is at the heart of the matter. I was taught to obey the commands of those placed in authority, whether they were my school teachers or the police or, when I was little, another adult. I was also taught that then, after having followed the instructions of those in authority I could appeal to a higher authority if I felt it was wrong. The important lesson however was to obey the authority first and question that authority later on. That is what the judicial system in America is all about. Your actions will be judged according to the law! Whoever breaks that law faces justice. That's how it works. It became apparent that, at least in this case, this woman did not understand that process at all. Makes me wonder how many of those folks are out there.
 This bit of discussion did, of course, involve police shootings. I understand the narrative being promoted that police are shooting black men. When I suggested to that lady that if they ( suspects and citizens alike ) obeyed the commands of the police that they wouldn't get shot, that is when she informed me they did not have to do that. Her position being, we have freedom in America and can just do as we please. If a policeman tells me to stop, I don't have to do that. I can't be detained until it has been proven in a court of law that I did something to be stopped for. I'm innocent until proven guilty! Just because a policemen sees you with a gun, and you point that gun at him or her, you can not shoot! You have to wait and see if they will shoot, first! Even then, that doesn't mean you can shoot them, you should use non-lethal means. Well because the police don't have an authority to stop you in the first place! There's no law that says I have to obey the police.  And then I hear from the same person; the police need to be retrained! It's the Police that don't know the law. It's against the law to be racist! ( social justice ) civil law doesn't say I have to obey the police, this is America, I'm innocent. To me it's incomprehensible that anyone could believe anything so silly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment