Friday, July 24, 2020

moving forward

 I went to Dunkin Donuts yesterday, the wife enjoys their iced coffee. I find it a little pricey but then again, I'm old. Sometimes my granddaughter will ask me to pick up something for her. I have to check my text messages to describe the coffee she wants, caramel, latte, frappe, foamy eye of newt or some such concoction. Anyway as I got to the window I was told the customer ahead had already paid for my order. I was surprised and left a bit speechless. I've paid for someone's coffee before, paying it forward but never had it happen to me. So, as I'm leaving I'm thinking I should get back in line and pay for someone else's. The wife says, you should have done that when you were at the window. Yes, you're right, duh why didn't I think of that. I just decided that I will do that next time I go to Dunkin Donuts.
 Now, not knowing the procedure for such a thing I thought, do I just say I want to pay for the person behind me? My first thought then was, that could be expensive. I mean, do you get to ask how much? And if you ask how much and it's more than you want to spend that could be embarrassing. I want to pay to forward, just not that far ahead! Hey, Dunkin is a bit pricey. A dozen donuts is eight bucks and drinks can easy go another six. The bill could be 15 to 20  bucks! I complain when it costs me that much for my stuff, I don't know about paying that much for another. I'll buy you a cup of joe and one donut though. My wife just says  I'm cheap. Well it's true she is the philanthropist in the family, generous to a fault. Especially when she gives away my stuff. Well in all fairness I did say for richer or poorer, just didn't think she would take that literally.
 Seriously though it was a pleasant surprise and restored a bit of humanity for me. There really are some nice people out there. I did manage to get a haircut as well. First one since all this covid started. Most people that know me, or read my postings know my feelings on the whole mask thing. I did wear my mask, without complaint, in compliance with the local directives. The young lady cutting my hair had a great attitude, even though she admitted to being nervous about catching this virus. She said she had responsibilities to take care of and certainly couldn't afford to just sit at home. Doing what needs to be done. I admire her for that. That's the American way! Having been inspired by whoever was kind enough to pay my donut bill, and that young lady cutting my hair, I came back home feeling a little better. We are going to make it, we will recover from this and continue on. America will move forward. God Bless America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment