Friday, July 17, 2020

investing in everyone

 Asheville, North Carolina is in the news for agreeing to make repreparations to Black Americans. It doesn't involve any cash disbursements, it involves the city investing in historically black neighborhoods. It's being touted as a long term solution. Now I admit I haven't read the entire article, done any study on this plan, just listening to the news reports. I saw this on Facebook yesterday as well. I made a comment stating it appears discriminatory to me. Yes, I expected it and Facebook didn't disappoint I was immediately attacked. How could it possibly be discriminatory if it was to benefit the descendants of enslaved black people? Well, my comment was simply, not every black person in America is descended from an enslaved individual. I was wondering how you are supposed to qualify for this? If the sole requirement is the color of your skin, that's discriminatory. Not saying anything more than that, it was my sole defense.
 Now I don't believe anyone today is entitled to anything based on what happened prior to 1865. No one alive today was a slave. Yes it has been a long, painful, process to get where we are today. Yes, people of color still face discrimination and prejudice today, many people in many ethic groups do. That is because that is the nature of man. As a general rule people do not like people that are different from themselves. Note I indicated that it is a general rule of thumb, not a blanket statement of fact. It is also the reason people assimilate into a society in the hope of fitting in. I believe it is the adoption of culture, religion and tradition that gains people acceptance into a society. The color of their skin will disappear. Remember the movie, Guess who's coming to Dinner? It starred Sidney Poitier and Spencer Tracy. Isn't that what was at the heart of that movie? For me it just showed how similar the two lead characters really where. The Black father was a retired mailman. He had worked hard all his life, sent his son to college and on to medical school. The white father was a successful businessman, respected in the community, that had raised his daughter to accept people for who they are. The mothers in the movie shared their stories, similar stories. That movie was a discussion of race relations in America in 1967. Following that movie interracial dating and marriage became more prevalent in America, more accepted. It was a step in the right direction. In the 53 years since that movie I've seen some changes. Have interracial marriages become the norm? I'd say at best, they aren't unusual anymore and do not draw much attention unless to be used in a derogatory fashion, as a weapon. Another thing we humans tend to do, use differences as weapons! I don't believe that will ever change.
 Anyway, back to Asheville and that situation. They have committed to invest in historically Black neighborhoods, whatever that is supposed to mean. They also issued an official apology for the past. I'm not certain what value that has to anyone. An admission that history existed? An admission that slavery is wrong? Seems to me Americans fought a war, brother against brother, to resolve that question. The practice was abolished " forever " in 1865. I'd say that was an admission that it was wrong. In my view what Asheville has announced is nothing more than pandering to a demographic. The truth is, Asheville and many other cities and towns throughout America, failed to distribute funds equitably among the citizens. That was the function of the town councils, the city planners, the mayor, local governments. Why was that done? Was it based in discriminatory practices? Yes you could say that and support that statement. You could also say it was an economic based decision. It is the downtowns of America that made America strong. And who historically controlled the downtowns? Predominately white people for the simple reason they had the money, the land, and controlled the politics. Why was that? It's simple, white people were the majority in America, still are although the gap is considerably smaller today. The last US census recognizes five racial groups in America. That's right, five. There are whites, including white Hispanics, that's what the census says. that compromise 72% of the total population. Blacks and African-Americans are about 12.7% and Hispanics and Latinos 17.8%.  I know that adds up to 102.5% but that is what figures the government provide. Guess the same method as reporting covid cases, but that's another topic. Interesting to note is that in 1860 at the highest point in slaveholding history in America, slaves comprised 1.4% of the entire population. Although the number can not be definitely stated it is estimated that about 10% of all blacks in America today are descendants of enslaved American slaves. Which leads me to say, should the other 90% receive compensation for the color of their skin? And if so, isn't that discriminatory?
 Please note that I have not stated my opinion on whether reparations should be given or not. You may infer whatever you like from what I've written, the facts that I have presented. I haven't said one way or the other. Do I believe Asheville should invest in all the neighborhoods in their city? Yes I absolutely do. I believe every hamlet, town, city, state or country should invest in everyone.     

No comments:

Post a Comment