Monday, July 27, 2020

figure it out

 I don't think of myself as a poet or a writer of any kind. I'm just someone who occasionally writes a poem or a bit of prose. That doesn't make me a poet or an author anymore than me singing a song makes me a singer. I think those titles must be bestowed upon you by others. I do see a lot of people that make all sorts of claims these days, self identifying as this or that. It's something I don't place much stock in. We are identified by the perception others have of us, not by looking in the mirror. Is the person in the mirror really what others see? I'm thinking in most cases the answer has to be, well not entirely. That thought came to mind this morning after I started to write a post, unsuccessfully, several times. Yes, I'm having fits and starts. Isn't that an odd saying? One I don't hear people using much these days. Well I suspect that depends upon your age. It's an older expression. I have found that sometimes when I employ such phrases, sayings, or a bit a dialect unfamiliar to others, they mistake that for originality. 
 When I choose to write poetry it usually comes to me as a complete thought. I seldom change the wording from what I first wrote down. It isn't something I spend hours doing. The truth is I seldom edit anything I write as what I wrote is perfectly clear to me. That is why I don't think of myself as an author or a poet, there job is to make others understand what they are saying. I just put it out there for you to figure out. I admit it doesn't always work out well. It's also the reason I am sometimes misunderstood. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm right, just misunderstood. That's something else I feel some folks get confused about. I can choose to be wrong, I don't always have to be right. But I'm right, when I choose to be wrong. My right and your right don't always agree. If you look in a mirror your right is always on your left, doesn't change it though. 
 Anyway I started writing this because of a few lines I had scribbled on my note pad. I keep one next to the computer. The wife and I had taken a ride through the countryside, if you are a frequent reader you may recall that, and after getting home I jotted these few lines, " The sunlight blinked through the trees as we rode along, the radio playing a favorite song, what joy there is in the simple things, if we just take the time, to look and listen in space and time. For time shall pass, one day gone, a moment at a time, but that time is preserved in our mind, until we exist no more. " And then I quit writing the thought complete. It has been resting on that pad and again I find I don't want to make changes. Which leads me to another thought, perhaps aging is nothing more than the preservation of the past, for eternity. I'm thinking each of us have something to remember, to add to the collective consciousness that is humanity. It isn't something you need to understand, it's something I want to understand. You have to figure that, for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment