Thursday, July 16, 2020

howdy cousin

 A few days ago I was contacted by my fourth cousin. I had taken a DNA test through Ancestry.com and she says that is the way she discovered me. She is descended from the paternal side of my family. That's a exciting thing as I know less about that side of my family than the maternal side. I'm anxiously awaiting new discoveries. She has already shared a family story that shed some light in a dark corner for me. Her grandfather had changed his last name to Richard from Reichart. That wasn't an uncommon thing in those days as immigrants, he was a natural born citizen however, didn't want the German name. The desire to assimilate into the population was that strong and prejudice was a factor in that decision as well. As I said he was born in America and so most likely did not speak with a strong German accent, although I suspect he may have had a bit of one. But whatever the case was, it was great to find out and have evidence to support that he was indeed a Reichart. Another door opened. 
 I'm looking forward to exchanging information with her. Sarah, her friends call her Sally I'm told, is a retired Social Studies teacher living in New Hampshire. She tells me during this pandemic she has been working on compiling all the photographs of ancestors and descendants that she can. That's quite an undertaking. I have gathered some, probably less than a hundred and the task can be overwhelming. She tells me she enjoys the pictures because it brings the person to life. I agree with her completely on that. Putting a face to a name has that effect. I wish her the best in that endeavor and will gladly provide her with whatever I have. She can see my family tree online but my subscription has expired. I'm going to have to renew that. I will be interested in seeing hers. 
 A few years back I was in contact with a Swedish ancestor. He was a psychiatrist, retired and following the branches on his tree. We exchanged a little information and then the interest seemed to fade. I haven't heard from him in a long time now. I hope he is well. It's an amazing thing making these connections. Just goes to show how we are connected to each other. For me I'm more interested in the stories these ancestors may have to tell. Yes having a photograph makes them more real but knowing something of their lives, their stories, really brings them closer in my opinion. Thanks to all the digital media available we can find those stories today. Its' interesting to me to try to place those stories in the context of time. Not being offended by the past, I turn my attention to the social attitudes and customs of the time. I wonder why. 
 Our common ancestor Christian Reichart arrived in the United States in 1856. It wasn't Ellis Island, it was Castle Garden, New York. That was one of many ports of entry at that time. Why did he come to America? At that period in history Germany was transitioning from a feudal system of government to a central one. The ability of the common man to own land was very limited. It is my thinking he came to America, as so many others had, for land and the chance to improve his condition. Germans had been coming to this land for well over a hundred years. I'm betting he was in touch with some and was encouraged to make the move. He was a farmer, and a farmer needs land. I haven't finished researching his story as I got distracted by his descendants. I do need to revisit Christian, his life and times. Now I have some help from a cousin. Should be fun.   

No comments:

Post a Comment