Saturday, February 22, 2020

the real thing

 I was reminded by the news that I have to get a real ID. I've heard about this before but thought I only needed it if I wanted to fly. I figure if I haven't learned to do that at this point, I probably won't! But the story went on to say I will need one to go on a military base and one other scenario that I don't remember. Of course this real ID is nothing more than a star added to your drivers license. I haven't heard what you do if you don't have a drivers license. I'm assuming that it would be a state issued ID. They went on to list the requirements for obtaining this real ID. First on the list was proof of citizenship. An original birth certificate is required. Proof of your Social Security number, two items proving residence in the state, and something else. They reporter explained that this real ID legislation was passed following 9/11. Nineteen years ago and it is becoming a requirement by this October, if the states don't get an extension that most are requesting. The terrorists on 9/11 had real driver licenses issued by various states but they didn't have their real ID on them! Imagine that, terrorists getting a drivers license but not telling the truth about themselves. If only they had to produce documentation. I'm certain that would have foiled their plans, they surely wouldn't have produced fake documents! Of course it isn't lost on me that nineteen years later and those same state are issuing a driver license to illegal aliens! I'm certain they all have the proper documentation though because you wouldn't flee your country, walk across thousands of miles of desert without bringing all the proper documents with you. I'm certain that's all legit. Well it's obvious they can't fly or they wouldn't have walked here. I wonder if they are getting a real ID?
 Well whatever the case is I suppose I have to go get another drivers license. When I got my commercial license I had to provide all kinds of documents, pass a background check and everything. Still, that isn't enough to get a real ID. I need to go back, bring more documents and prove who I am once again. A military ID card proving my retired status isn't enough. My commercial drivers license isn't enough. But if I bring an electric bill or a piece of mail with a Maryland state address and my name on it, that's good! That's proof I live in Maryland, well because I wouldn't fake that stuff if I were a terrorist. I can produce my SS card though. No picture on that, nothing but a name and a number. There was a day it was clearly printed on there, not for identification purposes! They removed that and now demand you produce that document as proof. No one would ever falsify that! Of course if I'm an illegal alien I don't need any of that, I'm here illegally! It's plain to see I'm not flying anywhere. The real ID is only intended to keep me from hijacking an airplane, entering a military installation or other federal facilities. You know like if you are a disabled veteran and need to use a government facility, no card, no service for you! But to be completely clear, you can still get on those facilities with a military ID.
 Okay so if this is going to keep us safe I'm all for it. I just question how effective a deterrent this really is. If you are worried about terrorists do you really believe this would stop them? Here I am , at the airport, bomb strapped to my back, I slip through the security checkpoint and get the door of the airplane, real ID please, oh no I don't  have one of those and I just turn around and leave. Whew that was a close call, saved by real ID.
 I was just remembering the days when all I carried was a little black book. Now I carry my Social Security card, medicare card, drivers license, medical summary, name of my primary care physician, an ATM card, several credit cards, and my military ID showing my retired status. Still I had best get down to the DMV and get a Real ID, all those others are merely supporting documents! I have to get the real thing. It would almost be easier to just seek refugee status in another country. You know, get free medical care, a monthly stipend, food stamps, housing and educational training opportunities. Heck I can get a drivers license without having to prove a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment