Monday, February 17, 2020

refulgence

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aureilus. 
This is a quote from meditations. Marcus Aurelius, emperor of Rome, and considered by some to be the last " good " emperor is the author. He was a stoic philosopher. He is one of my favorite people to quote as I find myself occupied with similar thoughts. I wrote some time back that I felt like there was little that could be said that hasn't been said before. For me it is just the way it is said that may be different. When I read someone else's thought but hear myself talking, that is a switch, the light comes on. Now I'm not saying I have ever written anything on the same level as Marcus Aurelius or any other famous person but I've had the same thought only to discover that someone like that has already said it. What I mean is discovering the quote after I wrote it. Ah, if I were only famous it would be me you would be quoting. That's an entertaining thought. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and expressing another's thoughts is an imitation. I have also discovered that you can go in search of a quotation to support just about any stance you want. You may not like the person who said it, but you can find the thought. 
 The quote I began this blog with is one such example. I didn't say it as eloquently as old Marcus but I share the thought with him. I 'm talking about mind over matter and I think that is also what he meant by that statement. We can not control the external, only control our reaction to it. That's the reason some are able to withstand physical pain more than others and mental pain as well. We can control that. 
 How firm is your foundation? That's what it comes down to in my estimation. I'm thinking about your mental health in this situation, I don't seem to have the ability to block out physical pain quite as easily as bad thoughts. But I think if you are firm in your core beliefs you can better withstand any assault on those beliefs. There are different names for this, resolve, conviction, and blind faith are just a few. Whatever label you wish to apply is not important. The importance lies in the strength of those foundations. What happens when those foundations are shaken? As Marcus pointed out, you are in charge of that, you decide how much it effects you! If you give that outside force greater power over you than you yourself exert upon yourself, you will be shaken.
 It's a strange thing really. A matter of perception. When the outcome of the situation, whatever it may be, benefits others in some fashion, you may be called a hero. The strength of your convictions won the day. If the result isn't so helpful to others, that is to say not what they wish, that same strength of conviction gets a different name. Stubborn, obstinate, ignorant or just plain stupid! Yes, that's the way it goes but you have control over that, not the external force. Strange also is that faith, " religious faith " is never questioned. If you state that is my belief no one is supposed to question that. Quoting a religious text is the ultimate authority. That's what it says, right here, irrevocable, undisputable and permanent. Deny that at the peril of eternal damnation! All that is required is for you to believe so. Yes, even that is an external influence subject to your acceptance or rejection. ( free will )  As Marcus expressed it, your " estimate " of it. What does that mean? Do you believe that at your core, your foundation? 
 Marcus Aurelius also said: "  It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than any other people, but care more about their opinions than our own. " Now he wasn't talking about himself as an individual and I don't believe he meant it in that way. I believe he was talking in general. When he said " ourselves " he was talking about the Roman people.  Remember he was the Emperor after all. So I think he was just saying why should the Romans  place more value on the opinions of others than on their own?  This is in line with his thinking about allowing external forces to control our internal wants, needs, and actions. This thought can be applied today, to the United States of America. Without getting into too much political discussion why should we, as Americans allow " others ", think different cultures, to alter our conscience? That is to say, value their opinion more than our own?           Following Marcus Aurelius Rome went into decline, eventually collapsing on itself. The reasons are many, but one of them was outside influences. Another part of that was keeping the masses entertained. In America it is the promise of " free " stuff that is the attraction. In ancient Rome the plan was to distract the citizens from the fact they were starving to death, taxed to death, and living under a tyrannical rule. The Senate decided their fate, even " replacing " emperors on occasion. Eventually the whole system broke down and don't forget that Rome was a Republic. Coincidental? Well history does repeat itself. I also believe the same thoughts repeat themselves throughout the generations. 
 Marcus Aurelius was a stoic philosopher. That means he believed in dealing with what is, not so much with what you wish it to be. That's my way of putting that. The classical stoics are different than modern day stoicism. At least that is what I have read on the subject although I am no scholar of philosophy. That's simply because I don't think you can learn to be a philosopher anymore than you can learn to be a poet, musician, or author. You can learn to imitate, but not duplicate. You are either born with that or not. No matter how many hours of practice I were to perform I would never be Edgar Allen Poe, Eric Clapton, Picasso, or Mark Twain. 
 It is interesting to note that science appears to prove that. A study was done concerning personality. The study centered around the idea of nature vs nurture. As it turns out it was determined our personalities are something we are born with. As the author of the study put it, we are not born a blank slate, we are born with a personality. It would seem that no matter the outside influences we are exposed to our personality will remain unchanged. It is only our response to external stimuli that will alter our reaction. That's why even mild mannered, generally gentle people, will pick up a gun and shoot you, given sufficient cause! People both good and bad come in all personality types. 
 One more quote from Marcus :  Think of all the years passed by in which you said to yourself "I'll do it tomorrow," and how the gods have again and again granted you periods of grace of which you have not availed yourself. It is time to realize that you are a member of the Universe, that you are born of Nature itself, and to know that a limit has been set to your time. Use every moment wisely, to perceive your inner refulgence, or 'twill be gone and nevermore within your reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment