Sunday, February 23, 2020

stuff

 I'm stealing this thought from my daughter in law. She was wondering if anyone else had a collection of old power cords, usb cables, printer cords and the like that they just can't part with. She stores hers in a Thirty One tote. I read that posting and immediately responded with I have a good collection of them as well. I did manage to toss a good amount of them in a bit of frustration one day. I miss them. But I still have quite a number of cords around in various locations. I have a special spot where I store all the transformers. You know the ones you get to charge your phone or power various devices. I just can't help but save those, you never know when you'll need a3.5V DC power supply! Yes it is a bit of an addiction.
 We all have a junk drawer. Every home has that one drawer where all the miscellaneous stuff goes. Batteries, new and old ones. Why do we keep those old ones? Just in case is the answer. There are probably various screws, rolls of tape, a few tools, curtain brackets, a flashlight that doesn't work, old keys that we longer remember what they went to, a few instruction sheets, a couple of manufacturers warranties, and of course, a few smaller cords. But the junk drawer isn't big enough for all those cords hence the need for another storage area dedicated to them.
 Now I found that post amusing on a couple levels. First off I believe we all have a habit of saving those cords. That is cords that are not permanently attached to the device that is. I admit I've been known to cut a really " good " cord off an appliance before throwing it out, yes some cords are better than others. Then I was amused because it was my daughter in law who posted it. She included a picture of her tote full of cords. What amuses me about that is she sells Thirty One totes! Thirty One, in case you are not aware, is a company that sells all manner of storage totes, bags, and the like. Customizable with your monogram they are quite popular. I see it as akin to collecting those Longaberger baskets that were so wildly popular. So that's why it strikes me funny, the person that sells totes is complaining about filling up totes with junk. Rather ironic don't you think? Those thirty one totes are designed so you can take more junk with you wherever you go. They do sell ones designed for every occasion. We Americans sure do like taking all our stuff with us, we always have. Our Army soldiers carry more stuff on their back than any other nation in the world and that has been so since the beginning. It doesn't matter if we are going to the beach or going to war, we're taking our stuff with us!
 We do like our stuff. We don't like to part with our stuff even when we don't need it anymore. We might need it sometime in the future. That's especially true with those cords. As my daughter in law pointed out, the new technology might need a cord from the outdated technology! I can see that. Of course I still remember when electrical cords where covered in cloth. You remember, they were black with strands of white running through them. They would become frayed over time and need replacing. They were replaced with the new cord. They were either black or brown, a plastic material that turned hard as rock over the years. Ah but now, now we have a durable rubber compound with the ends molded right on. We plug both ends in and can use it on any number off compatible appliances. A good number of lamps these days come with the plug molded onto the cord. Can it be much longer before lamps have removal cords as well? Then we can have more cords to collect, probably a good thing for the environment when you think about it.
 I'm not even going to start in with crafting supplies. How much of that stuff do you have around the house? How many scraps of paper, felt, yarn, sticks, glues, staples, scissors, yardsticks, glue guns, and other necessities? No, I'm not going to think about that. But maybe I'll think about those cords. I coud get rid of some of them. I better not though, what if I needed a longer usb cable at midnight or a data transfer cable? No, I had best hold onto that stuff. I just thought, what if I needed that stuff on a Sunday? Then I remembered, Walmart never closes, that's not an issue these days. We can buy more stuff every day, all day. And if Walnart doesn't have it, the mall will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment