Tuesday, February 4, 2020

buttocks and inuendo

 I read many comments yesterday about the half time show at the super bowl. I wrote a number of them as well. In short I found that show to be inappropriate for the venue. I know very little about Jlo and Shkira (sp ). I'm not into pop culture. To put it simply, it's not popular with me. I guess that was supposed to be singing and dancing although you couldn't have proven that by me. Entertaining? Only if you like adult entertainment in my opinion. And that is what it appeared to be as far as I'm concerned. What was the central attraction? Think about that for just a moment, what was being sold?
 Now to each their own as far as music and dance goes. There is much that I don't care for and that's fine. My only issue was that it wasn't appropriate for young people to be exposed to. In reading the comments yesterday that was the central issue. I was amazed at the number of women defending this. So many saying how beautiful those ladies are. If beauty means having a body image like some Anime character I'd say they had that. They were also dressed like that. Aren't Anime characters fantasy? Yes they are. I couldn't help but think, what happened to female empowerment? I thought the narrative now was inclusion. Aren't  " plus sizes " being celebrated as beautiful women too? Didn't see any of those on the stage though. What if Adele had worn JLO's outfit and danced that way? Would that be defended? I'm thinking the reviews would be quite different. Seems to me not much has changed at all. A lot lip service is all that is.
 I was also surprise at the number of women that thought there was nothing inappropriate about the way they performed. I asked would you want your daughter or granddaughter doing that? A few responded with, if they had bodies like that, yes! So what message are you sending then, if you have the proper body those actions are alright? Your physical appearance is an avenue to success? Yes I know they are also singers and actors. Couldn't prove either one by me but like I said I'm not into pop. Thing is, the entire show was centered around one thing, sexuality. That was the show! I heard them singing something, not sure what the words where. I saw some guy with sunglasses on make an appearance, and I saw some pole dancing. But what was really being presented was buttocks and innuendo! Indeed buttocks were showcased. I remember the days when they would have certainly been accentuated with clothing but they didn't do that. No, the material was as small as possible and as much butt exposed as allowed by the FCC. And that wasn't enough, attention had to be drawn to that area by hand gestures! Gestures with their hands I haven't seen ladies do since kindergarten when they had to use the restroom! Entertainment? For whom?
 In general I'd say that show was a reflection of what we are allowing our society to become. It's becoming a no holds barred free for all. Crass, rude, and disrespectful. I am free to do as I please! Morality and ethics are purely subjective things and I will not comply with either. Not if I can find some statutory legal ground to stand upon I won't! I'll even use the Bible to defend immorality! It says, do not judge! So, you can't judge me. And that is what we are becoming. Freedom doesn't mean you are free to do as you please. Freedom is the opportunity to do what is right. And now I'm seeing freedom used as an excuse, instead of an obligation.
 All this over a half time show? No it isn't over a half time show. What it is over is a matter of responsibility. Whoever books these shows has a responsibility to present an appropriate show for the audience. Whoever stages these shows shares that responsibility. Is this something I want my children to see? Is this something I want my Grandmother to see? What about the local priest or clergyman, would they approve? Shouldn't all those things be considered? The half time show at the Super Bowl will be viewed by everyone. The argument that, you can just look away, tells it all.
 You know it's a funny thing. If you present an argument for a moral principle or standard you are often attacked. Quite often the attack begins with, what do you think, you are better than everyone else? Now that is telling right there. What are they saying? They are saying that your moral standrad must be higher than theirs. That has to be it if you are accused of being better, having a higher standard. It's an admission on their part that their standard is lower. I'd suggest that they are well aware of that and that is the problem. So then, why are they offended? They are offended because they understand. As a gentleman named Tertullian pointed out, " The first reaction to truth is hatred. "
  

No comments:

Post a Comment