Tuesday, February 18, 2020

moral fiber

 I read somewhere that there are those that have something to say and those that just want to say something. After ten years of writing I'm thinking I may be the later. I just want to say something. I say that because it is becoming increasingly apparent I don't have anything to say. At least nothing people want to listen to. I can only guess that is because they don't want to hear it. I can respect that. There is a lot being said that I don't want to hear either. Doesn't stop them from talking so I figure it shouldn't stop me either. That's how that works.
 The subject I like to talk about the most concerns morality and ethics. Now I'm not a particularly pious man although I believe in God and morality is certainly the providence of God, or whatever you wish to label that power. Ethics concern the actions and reaction of man as it related to others. Ethics are generally codified by civil law. It is the separation of church and state the founding fathers established and was concerned with. The reason is obvious enough if you read your history books. They didn't want the church interfering in government, the administration of commerce being of particular importance. Also religion can be wielded as a weapon as easily as any gun. Indeed religion and religious belief are one of the strongest motivators known to man. Perhaps the only thing stronger is wealth!
 I watch the news, listen to the radio and read many postings on social media. All of that leads me to questions. I often discuss those questions with myself, sometimes I share those conversations in this format. They are, after all, nothing more than my thoughts. Not unsurprisingly I sometimes get comments from people that disagree with those thoughts. I expect that but have a hard time when those people act as though what I said was a law or something. It's not, it's my opinion, my thought, and nothing more. I fail to understand why some grow angry when I support that thought or opinion, hey, I wrote it sooo.
 Well I do enjoy getting comments. I can say in all honesty I have never written any of these blogs with the deliberate intent to get anyone upset. Whatever I have written is what I genuinely believe. I admit it is a temptation at times to just compose something that will either please or anger people. Either of those are easily accomplished. But that would be pandering, and I despise pandering. Even when I'm being pandered too, I don't like it.
 Lately I have began to ask myself this question; When did it come to be more admirable to recover from a wrong than to never have committed the wrong in the first place? The answer I came up with is: probably the same moment we decide the reward on earth is more important than the reward offered in death. That is to say, when we decide we want it now! There was a day when the goal was to not make mistakes. Your reputation was everything, as was your word, your trustworthiness and your character. Today many wear their errors as badges of merit. The scarlet letter as an award.
 For some the more frequently they repeat the same error the more prestige it garners. Well because it isn't their fault at all. At least that is the case with the things they want to do that is. If it brings us pleasure or profit we will do that! If things go badly for us, I injure myself or others in some fashion, it's alright, it's not really my fault. All I need do is admit to that wrong and receive " support. " I can even repeat the same error repeatedly and receive continual support! Then I can lecture others about it using my " recovery " as proof positive. I can just grant myself amnesty or forgiveness for any wrongs committed. Very convenient. Really the same mindset as, everyone was doing it.
 Well that's just my opinion, my view of things. I've certainly made a good number of errors in my life so far. I don't like to speak of them, I don't have any desire to put those errors on display. I will keep on committing them as well, I'm not kidding myself about that. I suppose it is a generational thing but it is the way I was taught. If you mess things up, do whatever you can to correct it and try not to talk about too much. It's what Martin Luther King was talking about when he said, the content of your character. Your moral fiber! That's my opinion anyway. Yours may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment