Sunday, October 6, 2019

what are you buying?

 I'm thinking Facebook is getting close to having run its' course. I know I certainly enjoyed it a lot more in the past. I have seen it evolve over time and it has lost some of the appeal it once had. Oh I still enjoy seeing the pictures people share, I enjoy reading little stories and remembrances. But it has become a place of divided opinions as well. That is to be expected. I don't take issue with the various opinions posted, just the tone they sometimes adopt. I'm just as guilty as anyone else. I grow frustrated at times and that leads to sharp retorts. Still not being one much prone to placating others I continue to press. And I believe that is all a reflection of the lack of actual human contact. Without seeing the expressions on others faces, or hearing the tone in their voices, it can get confusing. Often the delay in answering is the problem, or a comment inadvertently left in the wrong place. Those things all contribute to the problem. Perhaps the largest problem is the clash of societal expectations. I'm no sociologist that's for sure, but I know about societies. It isn't something we usually think about because we live it. But if you have ever been in the service, you notice it. It's probably that way at college, I can't say , never went. I have lived in many different parts of the country. In each part there are different expectations. Those living there expect you to react in certain ways to certain subjects. That's what I'm talking about. On Facebook however it's a clash. 
 The majority of us tend to repeat what we have heard from our friends and family. The reason is simple enough, we trust them, we admire them, and we believe in them. Well, that's why they are our friends, we agree with them most of the time. It's true you don't get to choose your family but you do share a common background anyway. Each is aware of the central values of the other, even when they don't share that common value. You know like when your kids make what you feel is a bad decision or poor choice. There's no telling them different though, they aren't listening. On Facebook often the people know little of each others central values other than what they are told by that person. To say it is a jaded opinion, a bit biased perhaps, is an understatement. I attempt to be as honest and forthright as possible but I'm certain those that really know me would provide a different description. Can one be completely unbiased about themselves? I don't think so. 
 I enjoy the company of others. I also don't have a large circle of friends, never have. I've always found that to be a bit of a struggle. I can't pay attention to large groups as I'm not one to join the crowd. I will not jump on the proverbial bandwagon of every cause that comes along. I have to think about it for myself. Call it a distrust of others, call it what you will, but I have to think about it first. If I don't agree, I'm not getting on the wagon no matter who else is. Doesn't matter to me if you are a celebrity, a scholar, a priest or pastor. I am not swayed by any of that. Yes I will weigh that, but it isn't what tips the scale. 
 Now as far as Facebook goes it is described as a social network. It's as good a description as any I suppose. Thing is, there isn't much social interaction going on. I believe that is simply because of the lack of human contact. I can't see or hear you. There is far too much sensory perception lost. If I where to try to explain every comment I made no one would read it because the post would be too long. But then its' those quips that often cause the most anger. Sarcasm doesn't play well with the written word. I also don't know what mood the reader is in. That makes a difference. Are you serious or being silly? You know it seems to me the more " connected " we become as a society, the world is a smaller place, the more disconnected from community we become. Facebook attempted to alleviate some of that with the ability to create " groups. " The thinking being to shrink the " social network " to those that share something in common. Sort of like joining a club. Birds of a feather. A disconnect from the larger society in general? I'm only interacting with my group! 
 The original idea was to have a network having an affiliation with your current school. That's what Zuckerberg had in mind. It was expanded over time to become what it is today. I think his original idea was the best. All those on that first network did share a commonality. There were a community. Now the community has grown into a global metropolis! With big cities come big problems. Will Facebook collapse upon itself? Yes, I think it will. Oh it'll be around in some form, like the " chat rooms " of old. Remember those? There were three social networks before Facebook. There was Friendster, My Space and Second life. Can Facebook survive? Well it's just a matter of economics. As long as it generate revenue, it will survive in some form. Weird isn't it? Because Facebook is free to use. Is it a social network or a vehicle for commerce? If we all disconnected from the network, the vehicle grinds to a halt! It really does come down to one thing, who is buying what?  And I mean that metaphorically?  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment