Friday, October 4, 2019

an exploration

 I haven't read a whole lot about what Buddhists believe but did touch upon that yesterday. I read a bit more after I finished posting my blog. I was surprised at the number of celebrity Buddhists there are. Jennifer Aniston, Sharon Stone, George Takei, Sarah Jessica Parker and Tiger Woods all claim to  practice Buddhism. Once, many years ago, I had folks knock on my door wanting to talk to me about Buddhism. I listened politely for a short time, they offered some advice and I subsequently dismissed them. They seemed nice enough, not pushy and genuine.
 I always thought of Buddhists as monks living in a temple somewhere in a remote location. They sit around thinking about stuff. They did make some profound statements. The Buddha certainly didn't get a lot of exercise, that much is obvious. The religion originated in Asia.
 It is an interesting concept. They don't believe in life after death or the existence of a soul. They believe that once you die that's it, sorta. The belief, as near as I could decipher, is that your energy, what I would call your soul, just goes back to the universe. That energy is used over again, just not for you. But then I got a bit confused because they also believe that whatever your last thought here on earth was will be the beginning you have when you are born again. Well, except it isn't you exactly. Guess I'd have to spend more time thinking about all of that, maybe that is what the monks are thinking about.
 Now, don't take that as a slight against Buddhists, I'm just trying to understand it a bit. They also believe you make your own destiny. You are in control of that by your actions and thoughts. Karma, baby. All past actions influence the future. The goal is to reach Nirvana. That is when you escape the cycle of life , death and rebirth. Buddhists believe your consciousness survives until you reach nirvana, as I see it, there form of heaven. Like I said, I'm a bit confused by all of that.
 So the way I see it, Buddhists want the same thing as everyone else. They want to be in control of their destiny and eventually go to heaven. Religion is a personal thing. It is possibly the most personal thing you can have. It's definitely selfish, as it concerns only you. You practice your religion to achieve a result! That result ultimately is to benefit you, and you alone. Certainly practicing your chosen religion can have effects upon others. The major religions all agree your religious practices shouldn't do any harm to others. The reason we don't have human sacrifices and that sort of thing going on. It is generally agreed we should also not force our religious beliefs and practices upon others. The religion of Islam is struggling with that issue today. Mohamed had a different idea about that but I won't go into that again.
 Seems to me the Buddhists are all about second chances. If you don't get it right this time, you come back to do it all again. If once you do it all right you achieve Nirvana are free from the cycle. Several sources describe nirvana as, the place of perfect happiness. What I would call heaven. The only major difference is, I am the gate keeper in Buddhism. I can reach that place only through my own efforts. No amount of praying, no asking for forgiveness, no professing I believe, will achieve that. It's solely up to me. I do get as many chances as I need however, so there is that. I don't have to worry about being sent to hell. Well that is unless you believe hell is here on earth. That's what the Buddhist was saying in that quote I posted yesterday. " The wise man makes his own heaven while the foolish man creates his own hell here and hereafter. "   I don't know when the first Buddhists uttered that bit of philosophy but I doubt he was the first to say so. My Grandmother would say, " God helps those who help themselves. " That proverb originated in Ancient Greece. Benjamin Franklin published it in his poor Richards almanac. It is saying the same thing, it's up to you really, you have to help yourself. It's about self help, a popular topic even today, although there is a movement away from that. The thinking becoming, we need help, we can't do it in our own. The Buddhist just removed God from the equation. Buddha isn't a God but a person to be revered. He won't help you. You are on your own.
 Funny how this stuff comes around. I was raised in the Christian tradition. I believe in God, I believe God will help those that help themselves. You can help yourself by following the rules God has provided us. Heaven is the goal, eternal happiness. Heaven is a happy place, no sickness, no sorrow, no pain, none of that. A release from what? Life? Now I've explored Buddhism just a bit. I call it an exploration because it isn't a search. I'm not looking for anything. I satisfied my curiosity. I wonder what a Buddhist thinks of Christianity? But I expect there are many forms of Buddhism in actual practice, many different thoughts. Just like Christianity, different interpretations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment