Monday, October 14, 2019

Trolls

 Do you remember Troll dolls? If you grew up in the 1960's it would be pretty hard for you not too as they were everywhere. Unlike today, they were good luck and wildly popular. They came in many sizes and hair colors. I had a pair of handgrips for my bicycle that featured trolls! Yes, those darn Trolls were everywhere. They were invented by a Danish man named Thomas Dam. According to Wikipedia they were called Dam Dolls after him. I never heard that and even if I had we certainly wouldn't have been saying that! Back then if I said to my Mother or any adult for that matter, I want a Dam Doll I would have gotten something quite different. But, as I said I never heard that term used. Seems like Rat Finks were popular about the same time. Of course this was long before Amazon and E-Bay delivered everything you could imagine. The local 5&10 was our source, Mr. Brill was the hook-up.
 I hadn't though about Troll dolls in a while, although I have been called a Troll on more than one occasion. I just laugh about that and say yup, I'm the truth troll! The truth does make some folks uncomfortable. Then I remembered it was a troll that lived under the bridge the three Billy goats wished to cross. They wanted to get to that greener grass on the other side. The Troll wound up in the river and disappeared after the biggest goat charged into him! The moral of the story? If a Troll blocks your way just push him in the river! I'm thinking they don't teach that lesson anymore, now you just slander him until he capitulates. Strange that Troll wasn't a Dam Troll although some would call him that. Well, it was a time of action, not words.
 You may wonder, what made me think about Troll dolls. Well, it's because I recently came into possession of one. My sister inherited that Troll as a part of an estate. Growing up we had a neighbor. George and Francis Rollings. As kids we naturally figured them to be an old couple, Truth is they were in their late forties, Aunt Francis, as we called her, was unable to have children of her own and became quite close to my sister. That was following the death of her husband George. Now Aunt Francis loved to play Bingo. It was a fairly new activity at that time. The early Bingo games were held at the Catholic church and others soon followed. Bingo became quite the fundraiser for fire departments and the like, and still are. Aunt Francis had her good luck charm  and it was, you guessed it, a Troll doll. Whenever she needed that winning number she would set that Troll doll on it. Whether it worked or not I couldn't say but Aunt Francis was convinced it would sway fate. That's because it had some added MOJO. Aunt Francis also had a cat that she loved very much. She had taken some of that cats' hair and fastened it to the Troll! That's right, she removed the fake hair from that Troll and replaced it with her cats' own hair and that, my friends, gave the Troll the power.
 All of that took place back in the 1960's. Aunt Francis passed away in 1968 and left her home, with all the furnishings and bric a brac, to my sister. Now I have that Troll sitting on my desk, a reminder and a memento of the past. Very small, very insignificant looking, and unimportant. It has no value as a vintage Troll Doll, yes there are people that collect them, as it has been modified. Still I smile whenever I notice it and the memories flood back. Amazing how that happens isn't it? That little Troll is about 35 years old now. He's been around the block as they say. Was he good luck? I'd say so and I feel lucky to have that. I'm not certain of his fate but hope he survives. I'd hate for him to be thrown into the river and disappear.  I do find it ironic though, I've been called a Dam Troll a few times, guess it is only fitting that I should have one. Life is funny that way sometimes if you take the time to look.
Remember? This isn't the one I have but is for illustration only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment