Monday, October 7, 2019

the goal

 To paraphrase Lewis Carroll, If you don't know where you are going, any road will do. My question is, do you have to have a destination? I mean we are always told we have to have a purpose, we are here to accomplish something, we should be working toward a goal, that sort of thing. I question whether that is actually a necessity. Well I should preface that with, if you are retired. So I guess the question really is, can retirement be the goal? Not that it has to be the only goal, just can it be the goal? Is there something inherently wrong with just relaxing, doing what you like, and walking the path you choose? 
 Lewis Carroll said, " If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." The implication is what? That it is a bad thing. Isn't that the impression you get? So why don't we think of that as an exploration, an adventure, instead of something negative? Is it because exploring and adventure are the destination? That is the goal? A self centered goal, as it satisfies only yourself. And aren't we conditioned to think our goals should benefit others? The most noble goals are selfless! The highest achievements benefit all of mankind. Sure we can have adventures, exploring new thoughts, ideas and the unknown, but they should benefit others. We all know who the first to climb Everest was, but who came second? The goal isn't nearly as impressive when you are the second to achieve it! 
 But what of personal goals? Are they a necessity? Do we all need to be working toward something? If that is the case how do you decide upon the goal? The goal should be to please yourself, that's why it is a personal goal right? What if your goal is just to please others? In that scenario you would have to take the road others select for you. That's because you are trying to get where they want to be. See how that works? If I start walking my own path that may displease others. It can cause embarrassment, friction, and in some causes concern. You know, " elders " are expected to respond and act in a certain fashion. Start pursuing some personal goal and eyebrows may be raised,  your mental acuity may be called into question. Words like dementia and Alzheimer's enter into the conversation. It can result in what the kids call, a buzz kill. Takes the fun out of things you know. 
 Then you could just set no goal at all. I'm not out to do anything. Accomplishment? I've already accomplished the goal. I'm retired, no more 9 to 5. I don't have to get up at any certain time, be any certain place and do any certain thing! I can just do whatever I what. Well as long as that whatever isn't too far out of the norm. Or there is the issue of being met with platitudes. You begin to pursue some new interest, set some new goal, only to be met with that. You get that same feeling as when you were encouraging your child to, dream big, you can be a star! All the time you knew that child really had little talent for whatever it was. What I mean is, when I was a kid I thought I could play major league baseball, be a great shortstop. Hey, Mom thought so, and others too. After a few years, I knew that wasn't happening. 
 So now I'm thinking maybe the best thing is not to set any goal at all. You can't be disappointed or let anyone down that way. Except, you are supposed to have a goal. It's a bit of a quandary. I guess I'm stuck on the same old highway. I don't know where I'm going but I'll get there anyway. Is that what Lewis Carroll was saying? Epictetus said, " All religions must be tolerated for every man must get to heaven in his own way. " Each of our paths are different but the destination is the same. You could say we are all born with a common goal, to get to heaven. The only thing then left to define is heaven. Once you define that, you can choose the road to get you there. Isn't that the goal.          

No comments:

Post a Comment