Tuesday, October 29, 2019

that's life

 I received an invitation to join a particular Facebook group. I rarely join up with those things as I can't pay attention to them all. I try to keep my friends list short and my groups few. I figure there is less chance of being hacked and all that. Yes, it still happens and I get annoyed with having to change my password every few weeks. But I decided to join this one. Now I'm one of those few that actually read the rules of the group. I admit I don't study them or commit them to memory but attempt to get a general idea. This group has quite an extensive list of rules and a very large number of members, 98,000 or more. Seeing that number I expected some issues. 
 Reading through the rules I see that all political commentary is banned from this site. Sounds great to me, I could use a break from all of that even though I frequently participate in such. But, there is a time and place for everything. If this groups bans such I'm good with that. I found myself even excited about the prospect. If all the rules were followed this site would certainly be a welcome relief. So I did join and began reading and adding a comment here and there. That was later in the day and for that few hours all went well. The next day I go on that site and what is the first thing I see? A political post aimed at the President, very disparaging and disrespectful. Even though politics was banned and I shouldn't have responded at all, I did mention how politics wasn't supposed to be on there. Well, that was followed by a barrage of comments, over 128 at last count, directed directly at me. I was, to be blunt, disgusted. I hadn't even made twenty four hours on this site without that. Yes, I suppose it was my fault for responding, this individual succeeded in their attempt to get a response. You would think I would know better.
 The end result was I reported the person that posted that political commentary to the admin of the group. I even went so far as to send a message in messenger to one of those administrators. I received an answer, rather curt I would say, saying she doesn't monitor the site twenty four hours a day. I found that remark funny as I had begun my message to her with, I know it isn't your fault. hardly an opening that would solicit such a rude response. But I was informed that person had been removed/blocked or whatever it is that they do. Well that's good. But then having been disappointed in both myself and the site I politely excused myself and left the group. 
 I look at this as a confirmation. I had issues in the past with another group. I had followed their rules but my opinions weren't exactly met with enthusiasm. After having been met with such remarks as, don't post this or that because I don't like it. Yes, there was some controversy. Eventually I decided to leave that group and form one of my own. My rules are, there are no rules! Post what you like but be prepared for people to not agree with you. I am the sole administrator, judge, and jury! If I don't like what you are doing or saying I will block you. I have yet to perform that action on anyone. I can't help but believe it is because of the rules. No one is disappointed or upset by what is being posted. Sometimes less is more. 
 The world wide web is a wonderful thing and I enjoy it for what it is, a connection to the world. The only problem is with that large a group is there are bound to be problems. Yes I can avoid a great number of them, that is what the purpose of those groups were in the first place, birds of a feather and all that. As the group grows however, so too the variety of birds. No differed really than the town in which you grew up. No matter how small, there are those that are different. That's the basis of the " other side of the tracks. " Yes, we are all proud to be from the same town, but my side is better. Differences in opinion grow in proportion to the size of the group. That was confirmed by my venturing into that group. I know better, as my parents would have told me. Well, no harm done, I'll stick with my group. There's no place like home. The problem was my own, I had expectations and was disappointed. That's life I suppose. The disappointment is my own and leaving that group my choice. I'm aware that my doing so will not affect a thing. Guess I was just hopeful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment