Saturday, October 19, 2019

thanks Doc

 Yesterday I spent an unexpected day at the hospital. Nothing serious, just a series of tests. Now that I've exceeded the age of 65 and the warranty has expired, you have to expect such. It all began Thursday afternoon. I wasn't feeling quite right and the feeling continued for some time. Now with an older machine it is best to carefully inspect the components now and again. Having had a heart attack about a year and a half ago, which came as quite the surprise I might add, I decided to go to Care First and have them take a look. I should have known better. Checking in and filling out the paperwork it was noted that I had had an MI. That's Doctor talk for a heart attack, myocardial infraction. The red flag was run up the flagpole and the EKG machine rolled out. After taking that test the Doctor reveals they are not very prepared for heart attack patients and I get the general impression she is not really sure about what she is reading on that printed chart. I'm not disparaging this Doctor I realize that in todays' world each one is specialized in some fashion. Perhaps her area of expertise was in triage, you know spotting what the problem is and sending you to someone to fix that. They called an ambulance and off to the hospital I go.
 Now if you need to go to the hospital the ambulance is the way to do it. They just roll you right into the place and into the emergency room. That's not to say you don't wind up waiting, but you are definitely moved up in the queue. More EKG's were taken and they differed from the previous one, a source of curiosity, if not alarm. It was decided I should spend the night, more testing would follow in the morning. Of course there was more paperwork to fill out, gotta love how the folks from registration come to get your signature while you are in the emergency room. Guess they figure they had best get that while they can, you know, just in case. So I scan over the documents and it is explaining how I will still be an outpatient, even though I will be admitted to the hospital. It all has something to do with Medicare, and what they will and will not pay based on that. Looks like loopholes to me but the accountants understand all of that. So, I spent the night in a hospital bed as an outpatient in the hospital. I'm beginning to understand this liberal logic.
 To wrap up this little tale, after a series of tests I was told, you're fine. Well at least it was determined that I had no cardiac issues. That is welcome news. In one sense it all seemed like a waste of time and resources. I feel a little guilty about that. I'm not one to run to a doctor. It also caused others to be worried about me, I don't like that either. My wife, my son, and my grandchildren all having their days disrupted for what turned out to be nothing. Of course I was relieved to hear my heart wasn't failing me. So I came back home and things are back to normal. I did miss posting a blog yesterday morning, a habit I am aware of. In fact I went the majority of day without being on Facebook at all! I know, it was different. I did check in briefly though, got a fix as they say, and so was able to continue.
 I have to say I hear a lot of folks complaining about the health care system. Mostly I hear the complaints about the cost, not the quality of care. That there is a great deal of bureaucracy no doubt about that. It's a necessary evil I suppose but can seem impersonal. I get that, everyone feels like the medical issue should be addressed before we become concerned with the cost. But that's not how you run a business. Make no mistake about that, health care is a business, not a charitable deal. It is that simple fact that causes most of the issues. There are those that campaign for free medical care of all. A very noble sentiment. The problem of course is how to pay for that. Now if the government begins to control that and all medical care becomes just a business, it will be run as a business. What I mean is, the care side of the business as well as the administrative. I question the wisdom of such a system. I sure don't want bureaucrats deciding how much my medical needs are worth. When you become a liability to the business, the accountants tend to want to remove you from the books. In a government funded operation that may mean it doesn't make good business sense to resuscitate you or provide treatment for certain illnesses. What becomes of elective procedures? Would it be fair to say if you can afford that you can have it but if you are in the universal health care system you are refused? It's fair if it is just business. Well, anyway, I'm not complaining about the services I received. I'm thankful for that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment