Monday, March 18, 2019

time will tell

 On Saturday the wife and I accompanied our grandson and his parents, as he made his commitment to Stevenson University. I believe that is the proper term to use, commitment. Signing the agreement and giving them a check he is officially enrolled. It's an exciting time for sure. Of course we all stood there with similar thoughts, where has the time gone? Can this be real? The school mascot, a Mustang, the horse not the car, showed up for the signing. There were congratulations all around. We made a brief visit to the University gift shop to pick up some gear and headed back home. Next up, high school graduation.
 We all say it. Time flies. It certainly seems to, that can't be denied. I remember well taking Mark to pre-school. It was an amazing thing to be there, taking him to college! Technically taking him to University. To say I'm proud of him is an understatement. He has received a scholarship and it is for being a scholar! Not to diminish the accomplishments of athletes but in my way of thinking scholarships should be for scholastic achievements. Yes I know a great football team or whatever helps to pay the bills. I understand that is why the colleges and universities invest in those players. Education is, after all, big business. That has always been so and will always be so. Takes money.
 Now Mark, like thousands of other students across the country, will have to take out loans to pay for his education. It's a simple fact of life. Like everything, if it is worth having, it is worth investing in. Education is no different. And that is what those loans are, an investment in the future. We have to understand that with all investments comes risk. Presently Mark is interested in pursuing a career in law. In short, being an attorney. Is it a career worth investing in? I'd say lawyers are always going to be in demand, judging by history. I certainly hope he stays the course. As to having to take out loans, invest in your future I'd say that is as it should be. I agree with free public education through the twelfth grade. Maryland has passed legislation providing free education at the community college. I don't know the details on that program. But I do think that by having to make a commitment, assuming the responsibilty of a loan, it does encourage students to study! Yes, some think that it is an old fashioned idea, this concept of education preparing you for the real world, but I don't believe that. I believe when you have things just handed to you, you don't appreciate those items as much. Simply put, what value is something that is free? When every person has a college degree of what value are those degrees? Mark is assuming that responsibilty and is very much aware of it. Yeah, I'm bragging but I'm telling the truth of it.
 Well, time will once again tell. Time always tells, as it can't keep a secret. We are now looking forward to high school graduation and a summer to remember. He tells me school will begin again sometime in August. He is looking forward to that. I'm hoping the summer drags on and on. Time and relativity, Einstein spoke of it at length. He even suggested that time travel may be possible. I can't decide which direction I would like to go. I could go back, relive the past and that would be great. On the other hand I go forward and see how it all turns out. I suppose I could go both ways if time travel were possible. Then I wouldn't have to decide at all. When I started posting these blogs Mark was in elementary school, now he is signed up for college! Where does the time go?        

No comments:

Post a Comment