Tuesday, March 12, 2019

something shared

 I traveled to Florida to be witness to my sister's final rest. She passed away in December and Saturday past, her ashes were placed in the vault. Even though she has been gone for three months, the wound was opened anew. The family was gathered around, children, grandchildren and siblings. Few words were spoken, the reality being that none needed to be said. Standing in silence with our thougts an emotional wave crashed over us all. With the sealing of the vault it became a finality. My sister was no longer on this earth. And now I speak of her in the past tense. Still, alone in my thoughts and prayers I speak with her daily, I always will I expect. My eldest brother left us years ago and I speak with him, same as my Dad. Thing is, I have questions. They seldom answer those questions however, at least not directly.
 My sister and I spoke frequently in the last few years. We had grown closer. When we were children we spent hours with each other, playing games or whatever. We were quite close. Then life happened and we went our sperate ways. Marriages and children, busy with our individual interests. for years we rarely connected. Oh, there were occasional cards and letters, a telephone call but they were more cordial than personal. In our later years we began to share those secrets of life that we all have. Secrets about children, grandchildren, life lessons, regrets and triumphs. Secrets of the family discussed and analyzed. Together we sought some answers to those questions, together we laughed and shrugged our shoulders. And in thinking about all of that I wondered, are there secrets in heaven?
 My first instinct is to say no. Surely there are no secrets there. But what of secrets that cause harm to another? You know the type I mean? The secrets that would cause embarrassment or emotional injury, are those secrets exposed? The secret itself has no value, it is of no importance other than to satisfy a curiosity. They are nothing more than a question unanswered.
 A book was closed Saturday, the final chapter written. It's true the writing ended in December, but it somehow didn't seem final until the vault was sealed. I didn't say goodbye, just a " see you later. " I have no doubt we will reunite. Will we know the answers? That is what I will question my sister about until we meet again. But maybe, just maybe, there are secrets in heaven. Secrets kept for an eternity. Perhaps that is what love really is, secrets kept. Secrets aren't a bad thing, just something denied to you. They can also be something shared. We did share our secrets, my sister and I,  and not all will be told. Some will last an eternity. Love you Sis.    

No comments:

Post a Comment