Wednesday, March 13, 2019

even if you ask

 The Maryland state legislature just passed a bill to allow medically assisted death. I call it assisted suicide. The debate rages on about that action, whether it is compassionate or immoral. The discussion centers around the precept we label " quality of life. " What is the quality of life and how do we measure it? For me it is a very simple thing, straightforward and without question, the quality of life is, ready for it, living. Yes, that's how I view it. Life is a very precious commodity, we receive it as a gift. To return that gift when it no longer suits us is something I find incomprehensible. I've heard all the arguments, all the reasoning behind this choice. And in that I am reminded that some have also decided the taking of life, even while still in the womb, is a choice. Personally I don't believe we are entitled to that choice, hence the commandment, thou shalt not kill. A religious commandment issued by a omnipotent god? No, I don't believe that at all. That is not the reason behind that. Monroe came the closet when he stated every man has the right to life! No one has the authority to take that.
 But the discussion is whether you can choose or not. Certainly you can choose suicide, but if that is an acceptable choice why do we have suicide prevention hotlines? Is suicide only an acceptable choice when others are in agreement with your choice? Is that a choice? I mean if you have to receive permission, is it a choice? No, then it is a considered decision. And in making that decision we need to enumerate the value, the quality of life. Is life only of value when we can do what we want to do? Is life only of value when life is comfortable? When we convince others that our life is no longer of value, or at the very least, of reduced value, terminating life becomes a choice?
 How shall we decide? Shall we judge by the cost? When the diagnosis is terminal why throw good money after bad? Is that the question here? Let's set that aside. Cost is no object, so what criteria do we apply now. The person is uncomfortable, experiencing a great deal of pain? We can certainly mask that can't we? Yes, without a doubt the patient can be made comfortable. So, now we are left with that elusive value, the quality of life. At what point do we, as a society, decide a person isn't worth being alive? Mass murderers, rapists and others who commit heinous crimes are kept alive, we don't terminate their lives. Why is that? What is the quality of their lives? Do they get a choice? But what  about those with a terminal illness. For me, I realize all our lives are terminal! Even when we can make a reasonable and educated guess about that fate, the fact is we still do not know the hour of our death. Does knowing an approximate time render our life worthless? Does it no  longer hold value? Is the quality of life no longer acceptable and be disposed?  
 I can't say I can empathize with someone when it comes to that. The best I can do is be sympathetic. I don't want to see anyone suffer. I would do what I could I could to help. I would hope that if this person knows me they wouldn't even ask. I could not assist in any way to bring about their demise. That is not an option, it is not a choice. My belief is those that will do that, do it for themselves. I believe they may get some sort of relief from that. Perhaps a feeling that they are helping, fulfilling a last wish or whatever. But, for me, I would forever carry guilt with me, no matter what other perception may exist. We use the expression I love you to death frequently. I will love you until your death, or mine,  but I won't bring about that death! Not even if you ask.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment