Thursday, February 7, 2019

the argument begins

 You've heard it said that you shouldn't talk about religion or politics in polite company. It is good advice. It can be a dicey discussion even among the closet of friends and family. But now many have taken to advertising their political and religious beliefs. It is that very action that is causing so much unrest and divide in the country. I know, the narrative now is we should talk about it. I'd agree, when  it is done with the intent to listen and learn. When the conversation is entered into with an open mind and the possibility of changing attitudes. That, however, is not what I see or experience on an almost daily basis. I do spend time each day on Facebook, probably more time than is healthy. I don't see many discussions or debates. What I do see is anger, animosity, and folks being down right rude to each other. I find myself doing the same on occasion. Man is a highly adaptable creature and does so almost without thought. I'm no different, but don't like the changes. I sometimes find myself acting in ways contrary to my nature.
 I have watched as people have placed their religious and political beliefs on display. What I mean by that is all the parades, the ribbons, the hat wearing, flag waving, marching, protesting, and symbols. Basically what they are doing is talking about their beliefs in public. Thing is, when you do that there will be those that disagree. There will be those that not only disagree but feel a compulsion to refute you. There will be those that will choose violence to do so. Might makes right! Some folks genuinely believe in that. By choosing to do that you are exposing yourself, inviting those that disagree to target you. No need to talk to you, no need to discuss anything, the target ( symbol ) is plain to see. You have your beliefs pinned to your sleeve. It's the same concept as having your heart on your sleeve, it is open, exposed  to harm.
 In America we cherish our right to vote. At least we should cherish that right. We get to voice our opinion, our choice. An important component in that is that our votes are private! Yes, that's a big deal isn't it? No one gets to see your ballot. What's the reason for that? You know the answer. So then why do you think it is ever a good idea to wear that vote as a banner? Really doesn't make much sense does it. Do you believe, even for a moment, that wearing a symbol of some type, or participating in some civil unrest, has ever changed anyone's opinion? I have yet to find a single event like those that provided any substantive information to change my mind. It may have gotten me emotionally involved at the moment, but the thing is, as I have said many times in the past, emotions are great motivators but seldom good guides. We have all gotten excited, all fired up about something that we later regret. Admit it, we've all been there. Sounded good at the time right? We would have been better served to have done a little research or just taken a few steps back, but those emotions just propelled us forward. And then we find ourselves having to continue on that path. Doesn't matter if I am selling ice cream or automobiles, if I can get you emotionally involved, you will buy. Works that way with almost everything.
  I was a Navy recruiter for a few years. I got folks to sign up for years at a time using that knowledge. I never lied to anyone. May have told them something like, in the Navy you can become a pilot. That's a truth, you can. Will you? Different topic altogether but the candidate hears, I can be a pilot! They get all fired up, emotionally involved in that decision, and sign right up. Then they are committed, and that commitment doesn't go away when the excitement dies. Emotion has guided you to reality.
 I got to thinking about all of this due to a local incident. The police attempted to arrest a young man. The young man fled and was chased. Turns out he had a mental issue. Tragically he also had a heart condition, previously unknown, and that caused his death while the officers attempted to cuff him. His running and subsequent struggle was ruled by the coroner as the cause of death. The family was naturally upset and demanding justice. A few weeks passed and the pressure from the family and the community in general grew. The town council then placed the officer involved on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation. That action caused a divide. The family and their supporters were pleased something had been done while others thought it outrageous the officer was placed on leave. There position being, the officer is innocent until proven guilty and being on administrative leave is basically saying he is guilty. The same logic as pleading the fifth. If I do that, I'm thought of as guilty even though I may not be. But anyway, a divide was created. Now there has been a request by some to display a blue light or blue candle in your window as a sign of support for the Police. Really it is a call to display your vote. Do you think that officer should have been placed on administrative leave? Which side are you taking? It is a rhetorical question. Of course you support the police in your community, who is going to say they don't? And in this situation it also implies I agree that the officer should not have been placed on administrative leave. And that is the problem with showing your vote isn't it? If you do, you have to explain yourself. And then, the argument begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment