Friday, February 15, 2019

Celebrating

 It's rather a sad state of affairs, I only became aware of the upcoming holiday due to the advertisements on television. Presidents day sales! Funny how Presidents day only became a thing in 1971 with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act. Prior to that it was Washington's birthday. His birthday is on the 22nd of February. In 1971 it was decided that Lincoln should also be honored, his birthday is on the 12th. As a result the two birthdays got lumped together, celebrated on the third Monday in February. The fact is the government now says Presidents Day is a day to celebrate all Presidents! In a world of political correctness and inclusiveness could it be any other way? We certainly wouldn't want to offend any dead or living Presidents. Sadly Presidents day is really only a day off from work and an excuse to advertise a sale.Are there any real celebrations attached to this holiday? If there is, I've missed it all these years. No parades, no speeches, no fireworks, no Hallmark cards to show you care enough to send the very best. 
 I can't say that is was a deliberate calculated thing. The third Monday in February will never fall on either Washingtons' or Lincolns' actual birthday. It's just the way the calendar works. I suppose it is a good thing though, that way no one is slighted. I still think of Presidents Day as Washingtons' birthday. Not that I remember the date, I confess I had forgotten that but knew it when I was a kid. I paid attention to days off from school and February was Washingtons' birthday. As I said, it was an advertisement for a Presidents day sale that jogged my memory of that. Sadder still, I think that is all that is being celebrated! You have the day off, with pay, go spend some money. Buy a new car or truck, maybe some new clothes. 
 Celebrate our Presidents past and present. There has only been 45 of them so far. A small select group. Four of them have been assassinated and twenty attempts to assassinate them have taken place. It's a tough job. So come Monday take a minute to appreciate what our Presidents have had to endure. Yeah I know they asked for it, but still. Whether you have just heard the name, some are mentioned more than others, or they served during your lifetime they deserve recognition. It's a thankless job for the most part. It's also a job you may not live through. We should celebrate. 
 The twentieth President of the United States was James A Garfield. Garfield said, " Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. " I'd say that applies today equally as well. Garfield was shot and killed in 1881. One hundred thirty eight years later, not much has really changed. Happy Presidents' day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment