Friday, February 8, 2019

tempered

  I keep seeing this commercial on television for some kind of energy bar. They keep calling it an f-bomb. The catch line is, wanna drop a f-bomb? I get that is supposed to be a cute play on words. a little tongue in cheek humor. But what does it really say about society today? Everyone knows what a f-bomb is right? Yes, I'd say for the most part they do, and that in itself should tell you something. There was a day in America when that sort of thing would only be known by sailors,  criminals and used in back alleys somewhere. Now, it's an advertisement! A mainstream expression. An expression most people understand to be inappropriate. So why are we using it in advertising? Oh, it's okay if you don't actually say the phrase, using an acronym is fine. That somehow makes it humorous. Guess I'm just an old fuddy dudy or something, but I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. The problem being, sooner or later some child somewhere is going to ask, what's a f-bomb? Or that child will say, I want an f-bomb. And all of that will be followed by nervous laughter, ain't that cute? No, actually it isn't cute at all.
 As the years go by I am developing a bit of a pet peeve. This pet peeve concerns the use of language. The choice of vocabulary is upsetting to me. Now, any of you that have read my blogs know I was in the Navy for twenty years. Yes, sailors talk like that, for the most part. It's not an excuse but the reason is a basic one. You have a bunch of guys and guys have to be macho. One way to display that is to talk tough. And that is what they called using that language back in the day, tough talk. Toward the end of my Navy career there were women assigned to the ship. In my limited experience a good number of these young ladies adopted the same attitude. Survival of the fittest right? Not sure what is going on now with all this change in social attitudes. I'm certain the Navy is a kinder, gentler place than it used to be. I do know, for a fact, the traditions I enjoyed are now called harassment, and punishable. Times change I suppose and sensibilities along with it. I do believe there is a time and place for everything. I don't think a television commercial is the time or place for that phrase/acronym. To me it is tacit approval to go ahead and use that expletive, hey, it's funny. I find it unsettling for a reason I've written about in the past. It's a little thing called polite company.
 What is polite company? It is a precept whereas you extend courtesy and respect to others. This is especially true with those that are not family or close friends. For that reason you do not discuss touchy topics that may inflame others, ie: religion and politics, and you choose your words carefully. Rude, crude and offensive terms are not used. These simple rules help in controlling your temperament. In short, you don't lose your temper nearly as quickly. But it seems to me people start out with a foul temper these days. That is the impression I get when the sentence is prefaced with an f-bomb or some other foul expletive.  I find it difficult to take those people seriously. You know why? Because that language is the language of bluster. Yeah, bullies and the insecure like to use those words to show how tough they are. I'm never impressed, wasn't back in 71 when I joined the Navy, not impressed today. That's not to say those folks aren't intelligent, I've known a good many that are indeed quite intelligent and informed, but first impressions are what we act upon. Generally speaking, if you start conversations with that sort of language I will tune you out rather quickly. It really doesn't make you sound intelligent and sends the wrong message. It has nothing to do with intelligence, it has to do with demeanor. Want respect, act respectful.
 Like I said, guess I'm old. I just don't get it. I hear people decrying how offended they are by everything. A statue offends them. History offends them. And their response is a string of expletives, expression and filth that is designed to offend others! Protests, riots and social unrest because they are offended. The response, trying to be more offensive than offended? I could insert a string of acronyms here, but I won't. By doing so I would be assuming you understood them. Rather insulting to think that. I'm in polite company here and I mind my manners. I really do try to temper my words. Like a good knife, tempered correctly, words can cut cleanly and hold their edge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment